Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
      Benji Fisher wrote:
      > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >> At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
      >> quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
      >>
      >> Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
      >> you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
      >> commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
      >
      > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
      > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
      > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
      > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
      > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
      > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
      > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
      > etc.
      >
      > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
      > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
      > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
      > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
      > just that we pay attention to common issues.
      >
      > --Benji Fisher

      At the moment, multiple gwindows exist in the form of multiple instances
      of gvim (or didn't I understand what you meant by gwindows?). (Some
      programs, like Firefox, will open a different window or tab but not a
      different instance of the executable each time they are invoked).

      Settings common to all gwindows exist in the form of a common vimrc.
      However, changing settings (even global settings like 'encoding' and
      'guifont') in one gwindow doesn't carry over to the other ones. This is
      very important to me: I need to be able to edit several files with ":set
      enc=latin1 gfn=Lucida_Console:h8:cDEFAULT" (in Latin-only text, but
      possibly in languages like French or German, which use many diacritics
      which English sees only in foreign words) in one gvim, a couple more
      with ":set enc=utf8 gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT" in another (with Latin
      and Arabic text), and maybe still one or two additional files with ":set
      enc=utf8 gfn=MingLiU:h16:cDEFAULT" in a third one (with Latin and
      Chinese text). I wouldn't want gvim to force such settings to carry over
      from one GUI to the next (as might happen if all invocations were
      referred to a single instance of the executable).

    • Milan Vancura
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
        > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
        > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
        > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

        As I think about tabs in Firefox or Opera, especialy after I have installed the
        nice extension Duplicate Tab which can also merge more windows to one, I feel
        the differencies between windows and tabs are only these:

        1. all tabs have the same window size
        2. they are displayed at the same area on the screen, only one is visible at
        every time
        3. you have only one record in a system window list for the whole set of tabs,
        all manipulations with an order of tabs etc. is done in the "parent window",
        not in the system itself

        And that's all. If you change window-local property, it will be usualy changed
        in one tab only - there are specialy mentioned exceptions when not (for example
        window size :-) ).

        If I look at these three points, I think normal window splitting with some
        setting to show only of them at each time is very near to "tabs" - all you need
        to full feeling of (Firefox) tabs is to write names of all windows/tabs to
        status line. That's all.

        Am I missed something? Or do you plan vim tabs will do something more than tabs
        in Opera, Firefox, KDE shell Konsole etc. ?

        Milan Vancura
      • mzyzik@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
          > > 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
          > > accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
          > > means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
          > > there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
          > > means these tabs are always visible.
          >
          > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
          > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
          > work just fine.

          The reason to always show tabs is the same as the reason to always show the status
          line. I personally set laststatus = 2. It's just a preference. I was
          under the impression that it would be quite easy to implement; and
          consistency-wise, it's a plus. In firefox and vim, I would probably show
          tabs when there's more than one page; yet still I think something like
          framestatus is important. Firefox does have the option to change the
          behavior. Maybe it "works fine" because everyone is configuring it :) ??

          > I don't want to hide the tabs, because you can't see what you are doing.
          > It's too easy to forget that you have windows that you are currently not
          > seeing.

          When hiding the laststatus, I can't see the filename I'm working with
          unless I edit 'rulerformat', yet I don't. Who cares if you forget what
          windows you have. At least you won't forget which buffers you have open.
          Since :buffers acts like :ls; you could have :frames act like an :ls for
          frames. What I don't like about "pages" is that :pclose is already for
          the preview window. You could do :pgclose, but it's ugly.

          --Matt Zyzik
        • mzyzik@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
            > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
            > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
            > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
            > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
            > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
            > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
            > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
            > etc.
            >
            > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
            > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
            > just that we pay attention to common issues.
            >
            > --Benji Fisher

            I actually never thought of this. It's the behavior that emacs has. When
            in gui mode, new windows are created for frames; and they're not when in
            console mode.
            I personally don't need the "multiple gwindows" because if I have enough
            room on my screen for another window, I would rather just maximize vim
            and split vertically. But this is a good thought; maybe others would
            want it.
          • mzyzik@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
              You are missing something. File editing is different than browsing. You
              might need to see two files at the same time when editing a third. You
              might want to then create a new frame temporarily to browse through one
              file, then switch back to the previous window layout. And if you are
              working on a complicated project, you might want to have multiple window
              layouts, and switch back and forth between them.

              --Matt

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                Benji Fisher wrote:

                > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > >
                > > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
                > > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
                > >
                > > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
                > > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
                > > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
                >
                > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
                > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
                > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
                > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
                > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
                > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
                > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
                > etc.
                >
                > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
                > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
                > just that we pay attention to common issues.

                There is one important difference: with multiple tabs you still have
                only one command line. With multiple toplevel windows you will have
                multiple command lines. That creates a lot of issues that aren't easy
                to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                252. You vote for foreign officials.

              • Mikolaj Machowski
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                  Dnia piątek, 3 lutego 2006 15:31, Benji Fisher napisał:

                  Personally I think it would be nice if there could be possibility to
                  treat all separate windows (or chosen subset of them) as one session.
                  Especially to have one common list of buffers and auto switching
                  between windows with :buffer command.

                  > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                  > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

                  Yep. Time to renew my votes :)

                  m.
                • Stefano Zacchiroli
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                    On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                    > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                    > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                    Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                    But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                    a real plus.

                    Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                    gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.

                    Just my 0.02 EUR.
                    Cheers.

                  • Benji Fisher
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                      On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                      > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                      > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                      >
                      > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                      > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                      > a real plus.
                      >
                      > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                      > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                      >
                      > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                      > Cheers.

                      Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                      commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,

                      :!gvim

                      will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                      buffers, then

                      :mksession <tempfile>
                      :gvim -S <tempfile>

                      will do.

                      The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                      telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                      read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                      multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                      running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                      windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.

                      BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                      there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                      script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                      to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                      not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                      for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                      tab.

                      --Benji Fisher
                    • Johnny Blaze
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                        On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                        > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                        > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                        > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                        > >
                        > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                        > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                        > > a real plus.
                        > >
                        > > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                        > > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                        > >
                        > > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                        > > Cheers.
                        >
                        > Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                        > commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                        >
                        > :!gvim
                        >
                        > will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                        > buffers, then
                        >
                        > :mksession <tempfile>
                        > :gvim -S <tempfile>
                        >
                        > will do.
                        >
                        > The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                        > telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                        > read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                        > multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                        > running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                        > windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                        >
                        > BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                        > there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                        > script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                        > to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                        > not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                        > for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                        > tab.
                        >
                        > --Benji Fisher

                        Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:

                        set tabs

                        then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...

                        set notabs

                        then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                        out any kind of tab-line.

                        --

                        . o O pyromancer O o .
                      • A. J. Mechelynck
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                          Johnny Blaze wrote:
                          > On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                          >>> Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                          >>> But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                          >>> a real plus.
                          >>>
                          >>> Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                          >>> gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                          >>>
                          >>> Just my 0.02 EUR.
                          >>> Cheers.
                          >> Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                          >> commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                          >>
                          >> :!gvim
                          >>
                          >> will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                          >> buffers, then
                          >>
                          >> :mksession <tempfile>
                          >> :gvim -S <tempfile>
                          >>
                          >> will do.
                          >>
                          >> The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                          >> telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                          >> read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                          >> multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                          >> running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                          >> windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                          >>
                          >> BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                          >> there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                          >> script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                          >> to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                          >> not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                          >> for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                          >> tab.
                          >>
                          >> --Benji Fisher
                          >>

                          > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                          >
                          > set tabs
                          >
                          > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                          >
                          > set notabs
                          >
                          > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                          > out any kind of tab-line.
                          >

                          > --
                          >
                          > . o O pyromancer O o .

                          Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                          (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:

                          :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999

                          or if you're lazy ;-) :

                          :set noea wmh=0 wh=999

                          Only the current buffer's contents (the current tab's, if you will) will
                          be visible, and all other "horizontally split windows" will be reduced
                          to a status line each and nothing else (displaying the corresponding
                          filename). Think of these status lines (above and below the active tab
                          contents) as colored tabs (or black with white print) on the edges of
                          the pages of a Rolodex before and after the current one. Click on a
                          "tab" to open it, or use {number}^Ww to open the nth one, ^Ww with no
                          number for the next one, ^WW for the previous one (in the two latter
                          cases, in round-robin fashion).

                        • mzyzik@gmail.com
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                            > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                            >
                            > set tabs
                            >
                            > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                            >
                            > set notabs
                            >
                            > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                            > out any kind of tab-line.
                            >

                            > --
                            >
                            > . o O pyromancer O o .

                            It's easier and better and more logical just to create new commands
                            for creating new frames.
                            Why would someone want to change tabs/notabs on the fly when they can
                            just have a command like :frall or :fnew?

                            --Matt
                          • Gautam Iyer
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                              On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

                              > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              >
                              > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                              > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                              >
                              > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                              > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                              > a real plus.

                              Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                              tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                              instances communicating?

                              If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                              then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                              between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).

                              But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                              :)

                              GI

                              --
                              Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
                              million bugs!
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006

                                And mine too!

                                ---Zdenek
                              • Benji Fisher
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                  On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Gautam Iyer wrote:
                                  > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                  > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                  > >
                                  > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                  > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                  > > a real plus.
                                  >
                                  > Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                                  > tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                                  > instances communicating?
                                  >
                                  > If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                                  > then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                                  > between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).
                                  >
                                  > But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                                  Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                  communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                  insist on gvim.

                                  Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                  instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                  jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                  new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                  Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                  making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                  off in the same state.

                                  Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                  but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                  of vim to share a buffer.

                                  OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                  the tab gets its own window?

                                  --Benji Fisher
                                • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                    > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                    > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                    > insist on gvim.
                                    >
                                    > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                    > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                    > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                    > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                    > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                    > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                    > off in the same state.
                                    >
                                    > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                    > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                    > of vim to share a buffer.
                                    >
                                    > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                    > the tab gets its own window?
                                    >
                                    > --Benji Fisher

                                    Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                    "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                    reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                    should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                    one window.
                                    Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                    first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                    frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                    tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                    --Matt
                                  • Benji Fisher
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                      On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:27:11AM -0500, mzyzik@... wrote:
                                      > > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                      > > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                      > > insist on gvim.
                                      > >
                                      > > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                      > > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                      > > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                      > > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                      > > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                      > > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                      > > off in the same state.
                                      > >
                                      > > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                      > > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                      > > of vim to share a buffer.
                                      > >
                                      > > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                      > > the tab gets its own window?
                                      > >
                                      > > --Benji Fisher
                                      >
                                      > Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                      > "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                      > reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                      > should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                      > one window.

                                      In my first post on this thread, I advocated considering the design
                                      issues of multiple windows at the same time that we discuss tabs, and I
                                      still think that is a good idea. Since I am not volunteering to do any
                                      development, I do not have much to say about when to implement these
                                      features. Maybe it is right to have tabs in vim 7.0 and put off windows
                                      until 7.2 or 8.0.

                                      > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                      > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                      > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                      > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                      I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                      at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :

                                      9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim

                                      --Benji Fisher
                                    • A. J. Mechelynck
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                        Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                        > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                        > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                        >
                                        > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                        [...]
                                        > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                        > >
                                        > > set tabs
                                        > >
                                        > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                        > >
                                        > > set notabs
                                        [...]
                                        > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                        > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                        >
                                        > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                        [...]
                                        > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                        > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).
                                        >

                                        > --
                                        >
                                        > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                        Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                      • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                          > > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                          > > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                          > > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                          > > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.
                                          >
                                          > I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                          > at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :
                                          >
                                          > 9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim
                                          >
                                          > --Benji Fisher

                                          Yeah but I think that means frames/pages, doesn't it?
                                          I very possibly could be wrong.

                                          --Matt
                                        • Johnny Blaze
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 8, 2006
                                            On 2/7/06, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                                            > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                            > > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                            > > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                            > [...]
                                            > > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                            > > >
                                            > > > set tabs
                                            > > >
                                            > > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                            > > >
                                            > > > set notabs
                                            > [...]
                                            > > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                            > > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                            > >
                                            > > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                            > [...]
                                            > > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                            > > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).

                                            > Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                            Its not that I don't like it... you gave me the orignal idea that
                                            started the script :-) -- you're actually credited in the script's
                                            description on vim.org... :-)

                                            --

                                            . o O pyromancer O o .