Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • Martin Stubenschrott
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
      On Friday 03 February 2006 13:01, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > Personally I prefer to always show tabs in
      > Firefox

      And I would like to never show tabs in firefox, but there is no option there
      yet :)

      A little off topic - if you dislike this, I am sorry, and will stop posting
      things like this:

      However, I am currently developing a firefox extension which will make firefox
      very vim-like (with ex-mode, most the usual vim-keybindings, a GUI which
      resembles vim by showing only content (no menubar/toolbar/tab bar), a
      statusline and the line for the :command inputs..., and lots more vim-like
      features like :map, but it's still a long way to go).

      But I have a question right now to you heavy vim-users:

      What's more intuitive to use for GoBack and GoForward commands?
      I'm thinking between:
      u/ctrl-r
      and
      ctrl-o/ctrl-i

      Ctrl-o/ctrl-i are probably better, since a browser history is like a
      changelist, but back is often needed, and 'u' would be shorter for this, and
      in some way it also 'undoes' chainging the website.

      Also I have not decided if it's better to say:

      :e[dit] www.google.com

      or

      :o[pen] www.google.com

      or just:

      :go www.google.com

      :edit is more vim like, but is it intuitive to edit a webpage?

      Quickly changing between buffers would be done with Ctrl-n/Ctrl-p or better
      ideas? :bnext/:bprevious are quite long for this often used feature in a
      browser.
      --
      Martin Stubenschrott
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Mat Zyzik wrote:
        > [...]
        > >> 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
        > >> accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
        > >> means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
        > >> there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
        > >> means these tabs are always visible.
        > >
        > > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
        > > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
        > > work just fine.
        > [...]
        >
        > That's an option (a preference, if you will: the corresponding menu is
        > named "Tools -> Options" on Windows and, I've been told, "Edit ->
        > Preferences" on Unix). Personally I prefer to always show tabs in
        > Firefox, even in the (rare for me) case that there's only one of them.
        > Of course, Vim is not Firefox, and Vim has status lines (there too, I
        > use ":set laststatus=2", i.e., always).

        I see, you can change that in Firefox. Well, it's just that I like the
        default and I don't see a very good reason to do otherwise. Especially
        because we have never had tabs until now.

        > I wonder how tabs will appear if
        > the idea is to make one tab correspond to a set of several windows: for
        > instance, will some options such as 'equalalways' or 'winheight' get a
        > different value in each tab (or frame or page, the name isn't that
        > important)? And what about 'encoding'? Will some options get three
        > values (local-to-window, global-to-tab, global-to-Vim)?

        At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
        quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.

        Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
        you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
        commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

        --
        Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
        (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)

      • Benji Fisher
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
          On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
          > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
          >
          > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
          > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
          > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

          While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
          think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
          gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
          separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
          come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
          all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
          tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
          etc.

          If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
          http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
          (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
          most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
          just that we pay attention to common issues.

          --Benji Fisher
        • A. J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
            Benji Fisher wrote:
            > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >> At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
            >> quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
            >>
            >> Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
            >> you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
            >> commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
            >
            > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
            > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
            > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
            > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
            > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
            > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
            > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
            > etc.
            >
            > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
            > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
            > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
            > just that we pay attention to common issues.
            >
            > --Benji Fisher

            At the moment, multiple gwindows exist in the form of multiple instances
            of gvim (or didn't I understand what you meant by gwindows?). (Some
            programs, like Firefox, will open a different window or tab but not a
            different instance of the executable each time they are invoked).

            Settings common to all gwindows exist in the form of a common vimrc.
            However, changing settings (even global settings like 'encoding' and
            'guifont') in one gwindow doesn't carry over to the other ones. This is
            very important to me: I need to be able to edit several files with ":set
            enc=latin1 gfn=Lucida_Console:h8:cDEFAULT" (in Latin-only text, but
            possibly in languages like French or German, which use many diacritics
            which English sees only in foreign words) in one gvim, a couple more
            with ":set enc=utf8 gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT" in another (with Latin
            and Arabic text), and maybe still one or two additional files with ":set
            enc=utf8 gfn=MingLiU:h16:cDEFAULT" in a third one (with Latin and
            Chinese text). I wouldn't want gvim to force such settings to carry over
            from one GUI to the next (as might happen if all invocations were
            referred to a single instance of the executable).

          • Milan Vancura
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
              > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
              > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
              > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

              As I think about tabs in Firefox or Opera, especialy after I have installed the
              nice extension Duplicate Tab which can also merge more windows to one, I feel
              the differencies between windows and tabs are only these:

              1. all tabs have the same window size
              2. they are displayed at the same area on the screen, only one is visible at
              every time
              3. you have only one record in a system window list for the whole set of tabs,
              all manipulations with an order of tabs etc. is done in the "parent window",
              not in the system itself

              And that's all. If you change window-local property, it will be usualy changed
              in one tab only - there are specialy mentioned exceptions when not (for example
              window size :-) ).

              If I look at these three points, I think normal window splitting with some
              setting to show only of them at each time is very near to "tabs" - all you need
              to full feeling of (Firefox) tabs is to write names of all windows/tabs to
              status line. That's all.

              Am I missed something? Or do you plan vim tabs will do something more than tabs
              in Opera, Firefox, KDE shell Konsole etc. ?

              Milan Vancura
            • mzyzik@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                > > 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
                > > accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
                > > means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
                > > there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
                > > means these tabs are always visible.
                >
                > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
                > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
                > work just fine.

                The reason to always show tabs is the same as the reason to always show the status
                line. I personally set laststatus = 2. It's just a preference. I was
                under the impression that it would be quite easy to implement; and
                consistency-wise, it's a plus. In firefox and vim, I would probably show
                tabs when there's more than one page; yet still I think something like
                framestatus is important. Firefox does have the option to change the
                behavior. Maybe it "works fine" because everyone is configuring it :) ??

                > I don't want to hide the tabs, because you can't see what you are doing.
                > It's too easy to forget that you have windows that you are currently not
                > seeing.

                When hiding the laststatus, I can't see the filename I'm working with
                unless I edit 'rulerformat', yet I don't. Who cares if you forget what
                windows you have. At least you won't forget which buffers you have open.
                Since :buffers acts like :ls; you could have :frames act like an :ls for
                frames. What I don't like about "pages" is that :pclose is already for
                the preview window. You could do :pgclose, but it's ugly.

                --Matt Zyzik
              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                  > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
                  > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
                  > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
                  > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
                  > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
                  > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
                  > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
                  > etc.
                  >
                  > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                  > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                  > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
                  > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
                  > just that we pay attention to common issues.
                  >
                  > --Benji Fisher

                  I actually never thought of this. It's the behavior that emacs has. When
                  in gui mode, new windows are created for frames; and they're not when in
                  console mode.
                  I personally don't need the "multiple gwindows" because if I have enough
                  room on my screen for another window, I would rather just maximize vim
                  and split vertically. But this is a good thought; maybe others would
                  want it.
                • mzyzik@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                    You are missing something. File editing is different than browsing. You
                    might need to see two files at the same time when editing a third. You
                    might want to then create a new frame temporarily to browse through one
                    file, then switch back to the previous window layout. And if you are
                    working on a complicated project, you might want to have multiple window
                    layouts, and switch back and forth between them.

                    --Matt

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                      Benji Fisher wrote:

                      > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                      > >
                      > > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
                      > > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
                      > >
                      > > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
                      > > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
                      > > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
                      >
                      > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
                      > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
                      > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
                      > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
                      > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
                      > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
                      > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
                      > etc.
                      >
                      > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                      > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                      > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
                      > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
                      > just that we pay attention to common issues.

                      There is one important difference: with multiple tabs you still have
                      only one command line. With multiple toplevel windows you will have
                      multiple command lines. That creates a lot of issues that aren't easy
                      to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                      It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                      252. You vote for foreign officials.

                    • Mikolaj Machowski
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Dnia piątek, 3 lutego 2006 15:31, Benji Fisher napisał:

                        Personally I think it would be nice if there could be possibility to
                        treat all separate windows (or chosen subset of them) as one session.
                        Especially to have one common list of buffers and auto switching
                        between windows with :buffer command.

                        > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                        > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

                        Yep. Time to renew my votes :)

                        m.
                      • Stefano Zacchiroli
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                          On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                          > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                          > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                          Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                          But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                          a real plus.

                          Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                          gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.

                          Just my 0.02 EUR.
                          Cheers.

                        • Benji Fisher
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                            On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                            > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                            > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                            >
                            > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                            > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                            > a real plus.
                            >
                            > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                            > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                            >
                            > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                            > Cheers.

                            Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                            commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,

                            :!gvim

                            will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                            buffers, then

                            :mksession <tempfile>
                            :gvim -S <tempfile>

                            will do.

                            The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                            telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                            read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                            multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                            running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                            windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.

                            BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                            there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                            script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                            to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                            not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                            for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                            tab.

                            --Benji Fisher
                          • Johnny Blaze
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                              On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                              > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                              > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                              > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                              > >
                              > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                              > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                              > > a real plus.
                              > >
                              > > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                              > > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                              > >
                              > > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                              > > Cheers.
                              >
                              > Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                              > commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                              >
                              > :!gvim
                              >
                              > will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                              > buffers, then
                              >
                              > :mksession <tempfile>
                              > :gvim -S <tempfile>
                              >
                              > will do.
                              >
                              > The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                              > telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                              > read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                              > multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                              > running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                              > windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                              >
                              > BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                              > there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                              > script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                              > to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                              > not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                              > for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                              > tab.
                              >
                              > --Benji Fisher

                              Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:

                              set tabs

                              then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...

                              set notabs

                              then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                              out any kind of tab-line.

                              --

                              . o O pyromancer O o .
                            • A. J. Mechelynck
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                > On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                                >>> Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                >>> But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                >>> a real plus.
                                >>>
                                >>> Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                                >>> gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                                >>>
                                >>> Just my 0.02 EUR.
                                >>> Cheers.
                                >> Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                                >> commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                                >>
                                >> :!gvim
                                >>
                                >> will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                                >> buffers, then
                                >>
                                >> :mksession <tempfile>
                                >> :gvim -S <tempfile>
                                >>
                                >> will do.
                                >>
                                >> The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                                >> telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                                >> read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                                >> multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                                >> running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                                >> windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                                >>
                                >> BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                                >> there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                                >> script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                                >> to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                                >> not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                                >> for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                                >> tab.
                                >>
                                >> --Benji Fisher
                                >>

                                > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                >
                                > set tabs
                                >
                                > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                >
                                > set notabs
                                >
                                > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                                > out any kind of tab-line.
                                >

                                > --
                                >
                                > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:

                                :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999

                                or if you're lazy ;-) :

                                :set noea wmh=0 wh=999

                                Only the current buffer's contents (the current tab's, if you will) will
                                be visible, and all other "horizontally split windows" will be reduced
                                to a status line each and nothing else (displaying the corresponding
                                filename). Think of these status lines (above and below the active tab
                                contents) as colored tabs (or black with white print) on the edges of
                                the pages of a Rolodex before and after the current one. Click on a
                                "tab" to open it, or use {number}^Ww to open the nth one, ^Ww with no
                                number for the next one, ^WW for the previous one (in the two latter
                                cases, in round-robin fashion).

                              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                  > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                  >
                                  > set tabs
                                  >
                                  > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                  >
                                  > set notabs
                                  >
                                  > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                                  > out any kind of tab-line.
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                  It's easier and better and more logical just to create new commands
                                  for creating new frames.
                                  Why would someone want to change tabs/notabs on the fly when they can
                                  just have a command like :frall or :fnew?

                                  --Matt
                                • Gautam Iyer
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                    On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

                                    > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                    > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                    >
                                    > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                    > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                    > a real plus.

                                    Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                                    tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                                    instances communicating?

                                    If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                                    then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                                    between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).

                                    But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                                    :)

                                    GI

                                    --
                                    Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
                                    million bugs!
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006

                                      And mine too!

                                      ---Zdenek
                                    • Benji Fisher
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                        On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Gautam Iyer wrote:
                                        > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                                        >
                                        > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                        > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                        > >
                                        > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                        > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                        > > a real plus.
                                        >
                                        > Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                                        > tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                                        > instances communicating?
                                        >
                                        > If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                                        > then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                                        > between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).
                                        >
                                        > But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                                        Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                        communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                        insist on gvim.

                                        Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                        instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                        jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                        new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                        Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                        making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                        off in the same state.

                                        Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                        but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                        of vim to share a buffer.

                                        OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                        the tab gets its own window?

                                        --Benji Fisher
                                      • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                          > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                          > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                          > insist on gvim.
                                          >
                                          > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                          > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                          > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                          > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                          > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                          > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                          > off in the same state.
                                          >
                                          > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                          > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                          > of vim to share a buffer.
                                          >
                                          > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                          > the tab gets its own window?
                                          >
                                          > --Benji Fisher

                                          Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                          "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                          reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                          should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                          one window.
                                          Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                          first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                          frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                          tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                          --Matt
                                        • Benji Fisher
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                            On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:27:11AM -0500, mzyzik@... wrote:
                                            > > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                            > > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                            > > insist on gvim.
                                            > >
                                            > > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                            > > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                            > > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                            > > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                            > > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                            > > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                            > > off in the same state.
                                            > >
                                            > > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                            > > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                            > > of vim to share a buffer.
                                            > >
                                            > > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                            > > the tab gets its own window?
                                            > >
                                            > > --Benji Fisher
                                            >
                                            > Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                            > "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                            > reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                            > should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                            > one window.

                                            In my first post on this thread, I advocated considering the design
                                            issues of multiple windows at the same time that we discuss tabs, and I
                                            still think that is a good idea. Since I am not volunteering to do any
                                            development, I do not have much to say about when to implement these
                                            features. Maybe it is right to have tabs in vim 7.0 and put off windows
                                            until 7.2 or 8.0.

                                            > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                            > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                            > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                            > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                            I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                            at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :

                                            9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim

                                            --Benji Fisher
                                          • A. J. Mechelynck
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                              Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                              > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                              > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                              >
                                              > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                              [...]
                                              > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                              > >
                                              > > set tabs
                                              > >
                                              > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                              > >
                                              > > set notabs
                                              [...]
                                              > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                              > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                              >
                                              > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                              [...]
                                              > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                              > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).
                                              >

                                              > --
                                              >
                                              > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                              Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                            • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                > > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                                > > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                                > > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                                > > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.
                                                >
                                                > I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                                > at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :
                                                >
                                                > 9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim
                                                >
                                                > --Benji Fisher

                                                Yeah but I think that means frames/pages, doesn't it?
                                                I very possibly could be wrong.

                                                --Matt
                                              • Johnny Blaze
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                  On 2/7/06, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                                                  > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                  > > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                                  > > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                  > [...]
                                                  > > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > set tabs
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > set notabs
                                                  > [...]
                                                  > > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                                  > > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                                  > [...]
                                                  > > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                                  > > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).

                                                  > Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                                  Its not that I don't like it... you gave me the orignal idea that
                                                  started the script :-) -- you're actually credited in the script's
                                                  description on vim.org... :-)

                                                  --

                                                  . o O pyromancer O o .