Re: "window tabs" and "frames/pages"

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
      Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Mat Zyzik wrote:
      [...]
      >> 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
      >> accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
      >> means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
      >> there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
      >> means these tabs are always visible.
      >
      > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
      > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
      > work just fine.
      [...]

      That's an option (a preference, if you will: the corresponding menu is
      named "Tools -> Options" on Windows and, I've been told, "Edit ->
      Preferences" on Unix). Personally I prefer to always show tabs in
      Firefox, even in the (rare for me) case that there's only one of them.
      Of course, Vim is not Firefox, and Vim has status lines (there too, I
      use ":set laststatus=2", i.e., always). I wonder how tabs will appear if
      the idea is to make one tab correspond to a set of several windows: for
      instance, will some options such as 'equalalways' or 'winheight' get a
      different value in each tab (or frame or page, the name isn't that
      important)? And what about 'encoding'? Will some options get three
      values (local-to-window, global-to-tab, global-to-Vim)?

    • Martin Stubenschrott
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
        On Friday 03 February 2006 13:01, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:
        > Personally I prefer to always show tabs in
        > Firefox

        And I would like to never show tabs in firefox, but there is no option there
        yet :)

        A little off topic - if you dislike this, I am sorry, and will stop posting
        things like this:

        However, I am currently developing a firefox extension which will make firefox
        very vim-like (with ex-mode, most the usual vim-keybindings, a GUI which
        resembles vim by showing only content (no menubar/toolbar/tab bar), a
        statusline and the line for the :command inputs..., and lots more vim-like
        features like :map, but it's still a long way to go).

        But I have a question right now to you heavy vim-users:

        What's more intuitive to use for GoBack and GoForward commands?
        I'm thinking between:
        u/ctrl-r
        and
        ctrl-o/ctrl-i

        Ctrl-o/ctrl-i are probably better, since a browser history is like a
        changelist, but back is often needed, and 'u' would be shorter for this, and
        in some way it also 'undoes' chainging the website.

        Also I have not decided if it's better to say:

        :e[dit] www.google.com

        or

        :o[pen] www.google.com

        or just:

        :go www.google.com

        :edit is more vim like, but is it intuitive to edit a webpage?

        Quickly changing between buffers would be done with Ctrl-n/Ctrl-p or better
        ideas? :bnext/:bprevious are quite long for this often used feature in a
        browser.
        --
        Martin Stubenschrott
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
          Tony Mechelynck wrote:

          > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Mat Zyzik wrote:
          > [...]
          > >> 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
          > >> accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
          > >> means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
          > >> there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
          > >> means these tabs are always visible.
          > >
          > > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
          > > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
          > > work just fine.
          > [...]
          >
          > That's an option (a preference, if you will: the corresponding menu is
          > named "Tools -> Options" on Windows and, I've been told, "Edit ->
          > Preferences" on Unix). Personally I prefer to always show tabs in
          > Firefox, even in the (rare for me) case that there's only one of them.
          > Of course, Vim is not Firefox, and Vim has status lines (there too, I
          > use ":set laststatus=2", i.e., always).

          I see, you can change that in Firefox. Well, it's just that I like the
          default and I don't see a very good reason to do otherwise. Especially
          because we have never had tabs until now.

          > I wonder how tabs will appear if
          > the idea is to make one tab correspond to a set of several windows: for
          > instance, will some options such as 'equalalways' or 'winheight' get a
          > different value in each tab (or frame or page, the name isn't that
          > important)? And what about 'encoding'? Will some options get three
          > values (local-to-window, global-to-tab, global-to-Vim)?

          At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
          quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.

          Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
          you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
          commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

          --
          Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
          (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)

        • Benji Fisher
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
            On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
            > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
            >
            > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
            > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
            > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

            While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
            think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
            gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
            separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
            come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
            all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
            tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
            etc.

            If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
            http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
            (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
            most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
            just that we pay attention to common issues.

            --Benji Fisher
          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
              Benji Fisher wrote:
              > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >> At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
              >> quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
              >>
              >> Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
              >> you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
              >> commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
              >
              > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
              > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
              > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
              > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
              > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
              > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
              > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
              > etc.
              >
              > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
              > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
              > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
              > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
              > just that we pay attention to common issues.
              >
              > --Benji Fisher

              At the moment, multiple gwindows exist in the form of multiple instances
              of gvim (or didn't I understand what you meant by gwindows?). (Some
              programs, like Firefox, will open a different window or tab but not a
              different instance of the executable each time they are invoked).

              Settings common to all gwindows exist in the form of a common vimrc.
              However, changing settings (even global settings like 'encoding' and
              'guifont') in one gwindow doesn't carry over to the other ones. This is
              very important to me: I need to be able to edit several files with ":set
              enc=latin1 gfn=Lucida_Console:h8:cDEFAULT" (in Latin-only text, but
              possibly in languages like French or German, which use many diacritics
              which English sees only in foreign words) in one gvim, a couple more
              with ":set enc=utf8 gfn=Courier_New:h12:cDEFAULT" in another (with Latin
              and Arabic text), and maybe still one or two additional files with ":set
              enc=utf8 gfn=MingLiU:h16:cDEFAULT" in a third one (with Latin and
              Chinese text). I wouldn't want gvim to force such settings to carry over
              from one GUI to the next (as might happen if all invocations were
              referred to a single instance of the executable).

            • Milan Vancura
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
                > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
                > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!

                As I think about tabs in Firefox or Opera, especialy after I have installed the
                nice extension Duplicate Tab which can also merge more windows to one, I feel
                the differencies between windows and tabs are only these:

                1. all tabs have the same window size
                2. they are displayed at the same area on the screen, only one is visible at
                every time
                3. you have only one record in a system window list for the whole set of tabs,
                all manipulations with an order of tabs etc. is done in the "parent window",
                not in the system itself

                And that's all. If you change window-local property, it will be usualy changed
                in one tab only - there are specialy mentioned exceptions when not (for example
                window size :-) ).

                If I look at these three points, I think normal window splitting with some
                setting to show only of them at each time is very near to "tabs" - all you need
                to full feeling of (Firefox) tabs is to write names of all windows/tabs to
                status line. That's all.

                Am I missed something? Or do you plan vim tabs will do something more than tabs
                in Opera, Firefox, KDE shell Konsole etc. ?

                Milan Vancura
              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                  > > 3. Have something similar to 'laststatus', but call it 'framestatus',
                  > > accepting these values: 0 (never), 1 (>2 frames), and 2 (always). 0
                  > > means the tabs are hidden. 1 means they appear like the "status line" if
                  > > there are two or more frames; and the line can be at the top of vim. 2
                  > > means these tabs are always visible.
                  >
                  > Is there a reason to always show tabs? Firefox uses tabs quite nicely,
                  > and it doesn't show tabs until there is more than one page. Appears to
                  > work just fine.

                  The reason to always show tabs is the same as the reason to always show the status
                  line. I personally set laststatus = 2. It's just a preference. I was
                  under the impression that it would be quite easy to implement; and
                  consistency-wise, it's a plus. In firefox and vim, I would probably show
                  tabs when there's more than one page; yet still I think something like
                  framestatus is important. Firefox does have the option to change the
                  behavior. Maybe it "works fine" because everyone is configuring it :) ??

                  > I don't want to hide the tabs, because you can't see what you are doing.
                  > It's too easy to forget that you have windows that you are currently not
                  > seeing.

                  When hiding the laststatus, I can't see the filename I'm working with
                  unless I edit 'rulerformat', yet I don't. Who cares if you forget what
                  windows you have. At least you won't forget which buffers you have open.
                  Since :buffers acts like :ls; you could have :frames act like an :ls for
                  frames. What I don't like about "pages" is that :pclose is already for
                  the preview window. You could do :pgclose, but it's ugly.

                  --Matt Zyzik
                • mzyzik@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                    > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
                    > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
                    > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
                    > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
                    > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
                    > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
                    > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
                    > etc.
                    >
                    > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                    > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                    > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
                    > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
                    > just that we pay attention to common issues.
                    >
                    > --Benji Fisher

                    I actually never thought of this. It's the behavior that emacs has. When
                    in gui mode, new windows are created for frames; and they're not when in
                    console mode.
                    I personally don't need the "multiple gwindows" because if I have enough
                    room on my screen for another window, I would rather just maximize vim
                    and split vertically. But this is a good thought; maybe others would
                    want it.
                  • mzyzik@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                      You are missing something. File editing is different than browsing. You
                      might need to see two files at the same time when editing a third. You
                      might want to then create a new frame temporarily to browse through one
                      file, then switch back to the previous window layout. And if you are
                      working on a complicated project, you might want to have multiple window
                      layouts, and switch back and forth between them.

                      --Matt

                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                        Benji Fisher wrote:

                        > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 02:44:26PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                        > >
                        > > At first there will be no local-to-tab options. It will make things
                        > > quite complicated, thus hopefully we can avoid them.
                        > >
                        > > Note that it's very easy to come up with all kinds of extra things once
                        > > you have tabs. But I really want to keep the number of options and
                        > > commands to a minimum. We have more than enough of them already!
                        >
                        > While discussing design issues for tabs, I think we should also
                        > think about multiple gwindows (that is, windows in the GUI sense) for
                        > gvim. From the user's point of view, a separate gwindow is a lot like a
                        > separate tab that is displayed differently. A lot of the same issues
                        > come up: should :windo and :bufdo act on the current tab/gwindow or on
                        > all of them; which options should, by default, stick with a single
                        > tab/gwindow; is there a separate command history for each tab/gwindow;
                        > etc.
                        >
                        > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                        > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php
                        > (which is not to say that this is actually justified) you get the second
                        > most popular RFE. I am not suggesting that we tackle both right now,
                        > just that we pay attention to common issues.

                        There is one important difference: with multiple tabs you still have
                        only one command line. With multiple toplevel windows you will have
                        multiple command lines. That creates a lot of issues that aren't easy
                        to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                        It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                        252. You vote for foreign officials.

                      • Mikolaj Machowski
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 3, 2006
                          Dnia piątek, 3 lutego 2006 15:31, Benji Fisher napisał:

                          Personally I think it would be nice if there could be possibility to
                          treat all separate windows (or chosen subset of them) as one session.
                          Especially to have one common list of buffers and auto switching
                          between windows with :buffer command.

                          > If you add up the votes for tabs and multiple gwindows on
                          > http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php

                          Yep. Time to renew my votes :)

                          m.
                        • Stefano Zacchiroli
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                            On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                            > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                            > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.

                            Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                            But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                            a real plus.

                            Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                            gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.

                            Just my 0.02 EUR.
                            Cheers.

                          • Benji Fisher
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2006
                              On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                              > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                              > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                              > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                              >
                              > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                              > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                              > a real plus.
                              >
                              > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                              > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                              >
                              > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                              > Cheers.

                              Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                              commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,

                              :!gvim

                              will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                              buffers, then

                              :mksession <tempfile>
                              :gvim -S <tempfile>

                              will do.

                              The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                              telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                              read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                              multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                              running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                              windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.

                              BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                              there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                              script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                              to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                              not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                              for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                              tab.

                              --Benji Fisher
                            • Johnny Blaze
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                                > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                                > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                > >
                                > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                > > a real plus.
                                > >
                                > > Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                                > > gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                                > >
                                > > Just my 0.02 EUR.
                                > > Cheers.
                                >
                                > Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                                > commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                                >
                                > :!gvim
                                >
                                > will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                                > buffers, then
                                >
                                > :mksession <tempfile>
                                > :gvim -S <tempfile>
                                >
                                > will do.
                                >
                                > The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                                > telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                                > read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                                > multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                                > running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                                > windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                                >
                                > BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                                > there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                                > script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                                > to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                                > not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                                > for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                                > tab.
                                >
                                > --Benji Fisher

                                Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:

                                set tabs

                                then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...

                                set notabs

                                then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                                out any kind of tab-line.

                                --

                                . o O pyromancer O o .
                              • A. J. Mechelynck
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                  Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                  > On 2/4/06, Benji Fisher <benji@...> wrote:
                                  >>> Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                  >>> But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                  >>> a real plus.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Also, in such a way of working, a (optional) feature like: start a new
                                  >>> gvim with the current set of windows/tabs/buffer would be valuable.
                                  >>>
                                  >>> Just my 0.02 EUR.
                                  >>> Cheers.
                                  >> Both of these can be implemented as user-defined
                                  >> commands/maps/menus. Assuming that gvim is in your path,
                                  >>
                                  >> :!gvim
                                  >>
                                  >> will start up a new instance. If you want the current windows and
                                  >> buffers, then
                                  >>
                                  >> :mksession <tempfile>
                                  >> :gvim -S <tempfile>
                                  >>
                                  >> will do.
                                  >>
                                  >> The problem is that you will then get a bunch of warning messages,
                                  >> telling you that the buffers are all being edited already: edit
                                  >> read-only, edit anyway, recover, or quit? With multiple tabs or with
                                  >> multiple gwindows, you would not want this to happen: there is only one
                                  >> running gvim, and it has one copy of each buffer no matter how many
                                  >> windows/tabs/gwindows are viewing it.
                                  >>
                                  >> BTW, others have asked why you would ever want to hide the tabs if
                                  >> there are multiple tabs open. Here is one scenario: I am writing a
                                  >> script, and I prefer to use :s rather than substitute(). I would like
                                  >> to open a temporary buffer. If I can do this in a hidden tab, then I do
                                  >> not have to worry about messing up the current view. This also argues
                                  >> for the option of having separate command and search histories for each
                                  >> tab.
                                  >>
                                  >> --Benji Fisher
                                  >>

                                  > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                  >
                                  > set tabs
                                  >
                                  > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                  >
                                  > set notabs
                                  >
                                  > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                                  > out any kind of tab-line.
                                  >

                                  > --
                                  >
                                  > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                  Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                  (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:

                                  :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999

                                  or if you're lazy ;-) :

                                  :set noea wmh=0 wh=999

                                  Only the current buffer's contents (the current tab's, if you will) will
                                  be visible, and all other "horizontally split windows" will be reduced
                                  to a status line each and nothing else (displaying the corresponding
                                  filename). Think of these status lines (above and below the active tab
                                  contents) as colored tabs (or black with white print) on the edges of
                                  the pages of a Rolodex before and after the current one. Click on a
                                  "tab" to open it, or use {number}^Ww to open the nth one, ^Ww with no
                                  number for the next one, ^WW for the previous one (in the two latter
                                  cases, in round-robin fashion).

                                • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                    > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                    >
                                    > set tabs
                                    >
                                    > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                    >
                                    > set notabs
                                    >
                                    > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get the current behavior with
                                    > out any kind of tab-line.
                                    >

                                    > --
                                    >
                                    > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                    It's easier and better and more logical just to create new commands
                                    for creating new frames.
                                    Why would someone want to change tabs/notabs on the fly when they can
                                    just have a command like :frall or :fnew?

                                    --Matt
                                  • Gautam Iyer
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 5, 2006
                                      On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

                                      > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                      >
                                      > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                      > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                      >
                                      > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                      > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                      > a real plus.

                                      Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                                      tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                                      instances communicating?

                                      If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                                      then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                                      between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).

                                      But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                                      :)

                                      GI

                                      --
                                      Microsoft broke Volkswagen's world record: Volkswagen only made 22
                                      million bugs!
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006

                                        And mine too!

                                        ---Zdenek
                                      • Benji Fisher
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                          On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:30:30PM -0600, Gautam Iyer wrote:
                                          > On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 10:38:15AM +0100, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
                                          >
                                          > > On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 07:54:18PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > > to tackle... Also, having multiple Visual areas, multiple states, etc.
                                          > > > It's probably easier to run gvim twice and have them communicate.
                                          > >
                                          > > Agreed, I often work with multiple gvim windows for instance.
                                          > > But an easy way to start up another gvim from one in execution would be
                                          > > a real plus.
                                          >
                                          > Well for me the real plus of having multiple windows is to "detach"
                                          > tabs! Would that be easy to implement if you have multiple gvim
                                          > instances communicating?
                                          >
                                          > If you do manage to do this with multiple gvim instances communicating,
                                          > then I'm hoping that tabs (and buffers) can be somehow magically moved
                                          > between console vim instances (which is all I use anyway!).
                                          >
                                          > But yes, I'm all for multiple windows and (detachable) tabs!

                                          Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                          communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                          insist on gvim.

                                          Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                          instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                          jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                          new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                          Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                          making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                          off in the same state.

                                          Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                          but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                          of vim to share a buffer.

                                          OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                          the tab gets its own window?

                                          --Benji Fisher
                                        • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                            > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                            > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                            > insist on gvim.
                                            >
                                            > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                            > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                            > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                            > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                            > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                            > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                            > off in the same state.
                                            >
                                            > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                            > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                            > of vim to share a buffer.
                                            >
                                            > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                            > the tab gets its own window?
                                            >
                                            > --Benji Fisher

                                            Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                            "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                            reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                            should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                            one window.
                                            Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                            first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                            frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                            tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                            --Matt
                                          • Benji Fisher
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                              On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 10:27:11AM -0500, mzyzik@... wrote:
                                              > > Good point: if multiple windows are implemented by having more
                                              > > communication between different instances of vim, there is no need to
                                              > > insist on gvim.
                                              > >
                                              > > Design issues: this would force a lot of decisions on us. The two
                                              > > instances of vim would have separate histories (search, command-line,
                                              > > jumps, etc.); global options changed in one would not affect the other;
                                              > > new mappings, commands, etc. defined in one would not affect the other.
                                              > > Is this what we want? It should be possible to do the equivalent of
                                              > > making a session file and loading it, so that the two instances start
                                              > > off in the same state.
                                              > >
                                              > > Implementation issues: I am not really competent to discuss this,
                                              > > but I suspect that the main difficulty would be allowing two instances
                                              > > of vim to share a buffer.
                                              > >
                                              > > OT: is it possible in Mozilla to detach a tab, so that the web page in
                                              > > the tab gets its own window?
                                              > >
                                              > > --Benji Fisher
                                              >
                                              > Undoubtedly implementing the multiple windows to represent
                                              > "frames/pages" will be difficult to implement. I think Bram would be
                                              > reluctant to introduce frames in Vim7 if this was a requirement. We
                                              > should consider this once the tabs and frames are working well within
                                              > one window.

                                              In my first post on this thread, I advocated considering the design
                                              issues of multiple windows at the same time that we discuss tabs, and I
                                              still think that is a good idea. Since I am not volunteering to do any
                                              development, I do not have much to say about when to implement these
                                              features. Maybe it is right to have tabs in vim 7.0 and put off windows
                                              until 7.2 or 8.0.

                                              > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                              > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                              > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                              > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.

                                              I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                              at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :

                                              9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim

                                              --Benji Fisher
                                            • A. J. Mechelynck
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                                > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                                >
                                                > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                [...]
                                                > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                                > >
                                                > > set tabs
                                                > >
                                                > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                                > >
                                                > > set notabs
                                                [...]
                                                > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                                > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                                >
                                                > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                                [...]
                                                > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                                > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).
                                                >

                                                > --
                                                >
                                                > . o O pyromancer O o .

                                                Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                              • mzyzik@gmail.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 6, 2006
                                                  > > Basically what I'm saying is, we should just get the frames working
                                                  > > first, hopefully in Vim7, and then consider the multiple windows per
                                                  > > frames later. Besides, the two votes in the top 10 are for frames, and
                                                  > > tabs for those frames; with no mention of multiple windows.
                                                  >
                                                  > I am not sure what you mean by that last sentence. Are we looking
                                                  > at the same list? From http://www.vim.org/sponsor/vote_results.php :
                                                  >
                                                  > 9 146 (-12) 32 -8 support multiple top-level windows for one running Vim
                                                  >
                                                  > --Benji Fisher

                                                  Yeah but I think that means frames/pages, doesn't it?
                                                  I very possibly could be wrong.

                                                  --Matt
                                                • Johnny Blaze
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 8, 2006
                                                    On 2/7/06, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
                                                    > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                    > > On 2/5/06, *A. J. Mechelynck* < antoine.mechelynck@...
                                                    > > <mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...>> wrote:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > Johnny Blaze wrote:
                                                    > [...]
                                                    > > > Why not make tabs a display option for split windows? Something like:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > set tabs
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > then when you do a :sball or :new, you get tabs instead of windows...
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > set notabs
                                                    > [...]
                                                    > > Hello Johnny. Without changing anything in the current versions of
                                                    > > (g)vim, you can use "Rolodex Vim", as follows:
                                                    > >
                                                    > > :set noequalalways winminheight=0 winheight=99999
                                                    > [...]
                                                    > > oh I know... anytime anyone asks this question, you paste the above
                                                    > > text, and I point them to my script (multiwin.vim ).

                                                    > Didn't realize you knew about it (and didn't like it). Sorry.

                                                    Its not that I don't like it... you gave me the orignal idea that
                                                    started the script :-) -- you're actually credited in the script's
                                                    description on vim.org... :-)

                                                    --

                                                    . o O pyromancer O o .