Re: Odd interaction between smarttab and softtabstop

  • Chris Larson
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 9:28 AM
      Chris Larson <kergoth <at> handhelds.org> writes:
      > I'm seeing a strange interaction between smarttab and softtabstop, when not at
      > the beginning of the line.
      >
      > Test case:
      > set sta ts=8 sw=4 sts=2
      >
      > With that configuration, I would expect that <tab> and <BS> at beginning of
      > line would add 4 spaces and remove 4, respectively, and that they would add 2
      > and remove 2 when not at the beginning of the line. However, that is not the
      > case. When smarttab is enabled, behavior at beginning of line is correct, but
      > when not at the beginning of the line, <tab> inserts 2 spaces as expected, but
      > <BS> removes 4. This strikes me as inconsistent and confusing. Naturally
      > this isn't a configuration I would actually use, but I was trying a number
      > of combinations of settings to ensure I understood the behaviors correctly.
      >
      > I have tested this under vim 6.2 on a redhat EL3 machine, vim 6.3 on an ubuntu
      > breezy machine, and vim 7.0188 on a debian unstable machine.

      Checking status on this. Wondering if this is a bug or if it is an expected
      behavior, in which case I have misunderstood the behavior of the vim indentation
      options, and would like to correct that misunderstanding :)
      --
      Chris Larson - kergoth at handhelds dot org
      Software Engineer - Computer Sciences Corporation - clarson2 at csc dot com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 11:26 AM
        Chris Larson wrote:

        > Chris Larson <kergoth <at> handhelds.org> writes:
        > > I'm seeing a strange interaction between smarttab and softtabstop, when not at
        > > the beginning of the line.
        > >
        > > Test case:
        > > set sta ts=8 sw=4 sts=2
        > >
        > > With that configuration, I would expect that <tab> and <BS> at beginning of
        > > line would add 4 spaces and remove 4, respectively, and that they would add 2
        > > and remove 2 when not at the beginning of the line. However, that is not the
        > > case. When smarttab is enabled, behavior at beginning of line is correct, but
        > > when not at the beginning of the line, <tab> inserts 2 spaces as expected, but
        > > <BS> removes 4. This strikes me as inconsistent and confusing. Naturally
        > > this isn't a configuration I would actually use, but I was trying a number
        > > of combinations of settings to ensure I understood the behaviors correctly.
        > >
        > > I have tested this under vim 6.2 on a redhat EL3 machine, vim 6.3 on an ubuntu
        > > breezy machine, and vim 7.0188 on a debian unstable machine.
        >
        > Checking status on this. Wondering if this is a bug or if it is an
        > expected behavior, in which case I have misunderstood the behavior of
        > the vim indentation options, and would like to correct that
        > misunderstanding :)

        It was a bug. It's fixed in the current snapshot of Vim 7.

        243. You unsuccessfully try to download a pizza from www.dominos.com.