Re: vim7: reported lines of bugs in Vim scripts

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
      Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have an impression that when reporting lines of bugs in Vim scripts
      > Vim is counting lines by logical lines, not physical (counting script lines
      > which spread across several lines thanks to \ as one line). It makes bug
      > hunting extremely hard.
      >
      > Huh. I found that bug in my code I couldn't find but... Vim stopped to
      > complain about non matching if/elseif/else/endif?
      >
      > m.

      Well, at least you know in which script it happened, don't you? Here's
      what I suggest:

      - If it is an (unchanged) script from the Vim distribution, just tell us
      the script name and path ($VIMRUNTIME/...something.../something.vim) and
      the script date and Vim version (e.g., dated 2005 Dec 27, for Vim 7.0aa)
      - If you wrote it, and it is short, append it to a mail.
      - If you wrote it, and it is long, upload it somewhere convenient, and
      post a URL.

    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
        Dnia środa, 1 lutego 2006 18:07, A. J. Mechelynck napisał:
        > - If you wrote it, and it is short, append it to a mail.

        Here is an example, very short::

        function A()
        let g:a =[1,
        \2,
        \3,
        \4,
        \5]
        echo asdf
        endfunction
        call A()

        After sourcing of file with these lines Vim complains about unknown
        variable asdf in second line of function A.

        Note that when expressions are in plain file, not in function report is
        precise, for file with::

        let g:a =[1,
        \2,
        \3,
        \4,
        \5]
        echo asdf

        Vim complains about line 6.

        Vim7 version from 'Jan 29'

        m.
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2006
          Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
          > Dnia środa, 1 lutego 2006 18:07, A. J. Mechelynck napisał:
          >> - If you wrote it, and it is short, append it to a mail.
          >
          > Here is an example, very short::
          >
          > function A()
          > let g:a =[1,
          > \2,
          > \3,
          > \4,
          > \5]
          > echo asdf
          > endfunction
          > call A()
          >
          > After sourcing of file with these lines Vim complains about unknown
          > variable asdf in second line of function A.
          >
          > Note that when expressions are in plain file, not in function report is
          > precise, for file with::
          >
          > let g:a =[1,
          > \2,
          > \3,
          > \4,
          > \5]
          > echo asdf
          >
          > Vim complains about line 6.
          >
          > Vim7 version from 'Jan 29'
          >
          > m.

          In your previous post, you spoke about mismatched if/elseif/else/endif
          clauses. Try installing matchit (if you haven't already done it) then
          using the percent key in Normal mode to check that your conditional
          statements are paired the way you want them to be.