New syntax highlighting .vim

  • Thomas Haselwanter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
      Hi,

      I'm hacking together a .vim for a language that isn't included in vim
      yet. Is there any chance that I can commit it to the standard
      distribution and become it's maintainer, so that one day I can just get
      highlighting on whatever computer I happen to login?

      Thomas
    • Nikolai Weibull
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
        Thomas Haselwanter wrote:

        > I'm hacking together a .vim for a language that isn't included in vim
        > yet. Is there any chance that I can commit it to the standard
        > distribution and become it's maintainer, so that one day I can just
        > get highlighting on whatever computer I happen to login?

        Yes. Just send the file to this list or Bram personally
        (bram@...) with a description of what it is for, perhaps with
        some appropriate links to more information, and a way to detect the
        file-format. You can take a look at $VIMRUNTIME/filetype.vim for a
        bunch of examples.

        Please remember that being a maintainer can be a bit of a hastle, as
        people won’t contact you and thank you for your work, only when
        something doesn’t. Still, it’s usually worth it as it makes it
        available everywhere and you can bask in your own pride I suppose.

        nikolai

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2006
          Thomas Haselwanter wrote:

          > I'm hacking together a .vim for a language that isn't included in vim
          > yet. Is there any chance that I can commit it to the standard
          > distribution and become it's maintainer, so that one day I can just get
          > highlighting on whatever computer I happen to login?

          Sure, if it's a decent syntax file then send it to me and I'll probably
          include it in the next version.

          10. And even your night dreams are in HTML.

        • Thomas Haselwanter
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            Nikolai Weibull wrote:
            > Please remember that being a maintainer can be a bit of a hastle, as
            > people won’t contact you and thank you for your work, only when
            > something doesn’t.

            I'm used to that. :) I'll keep tweaking the highlighting and folding for
            a couple more days before I commit it.

            Thanks,
            Thomas