ANN: Vim executables for Windows

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2005
      Hi Vimmers!

      New Vim executables have just been compiled (with the latest official
      patches) for Win32 (i.e., W95 or later, NT or later).

      They are, as before, accessible from my Vim page
      http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/

      Version 6.4, patchlevel 006 (follow link: My "changes" distro) the
      following patches are included (the last two are new); the zipfile
      includes the Vim executables but no runtime files. See details on my Vim
      page about how to get the latest runtime files.

      SIZE NAME FIXES
      1705 6.4.001 (extra) Win32: can't compile the global IME code
      7802 6.4.002 Unix: may change owner of wrong file in rare cases
      1463 6.4.003 (after 6.4.002) build problem on non-Unix system
      1581 6.4.004 "go" doesn't work correctly when 'virtualedit' is set
      1577 6.4.005 truncating message may write before buffer
      2320 6.4.006 ":argedit", "argdel" and ":argadd" used count argument

      Version 7.0aa, snapshot number 175 (follow link: The "experimental" Vim
      7), the zipfile includes the Vim executables plus all runtime files and
      all ancillary executables. No sources, but if you want them my Vim page
      has a link to Bram's snapshots directory.

      In both cases:
      - 4 executables of each version: console and GUI+OLE, with and without
      debugging symbols.
      - "Big" versions. The version 7 debug builds are "huge" versions (with
      profiling).
      - All possible interpreted languages: perl, python, ruby, TCL, and, for
      version 7, MzScheme, are supported dynamically (the languages can be
      used provided that the corresponding DLL is installed; if a DLL is not
      installed the corresponding language will not be supported but Vim will
      run correctly otherwise). See on my Vim page which version of each
      language is supported.
      - Support for multi-byte (with dynamic IME support), multi-language
      (with dynamic gettext support), multi-encoding (with dynamic iconv
      support) etc.
      - ":version" listings from all 8 executables can be examined from my Vim
      page even without (or before) downloading.
      - Any or all executables from either or both versions can be installed
      in parallel.
      - All executables were compiled and linked using Cygwin gcc but Cygwin
      is not required to run them.
      - The bash script used to roll the compile is included as macros/makevim
      within each distribution. You will probably not need to _use_ that
      script (though you may, with no warranty, if you want to), but you may
      want to _look at_ it.

      Happy Vimming!