Re: Vim7: netrw (bug), content managers, and gx (feature request)

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 22, 2005
      Dnia czwartek, 22 grudnia 2005 15:11, Charles E. Campbell, Jr. napisaƂ:

      > I'd worry that the ps call would somehow slow things on someone's
      > machine. I note that my FC4 machine has kfmclient as an executable,
      > although I don't run KDE, so
      > there's an example where my preference for gnome-open vs your preference
      > for kfmclient
      > would clash without using that test.

      But I am using exclusively KDE and test is clashing for me.
      Problem is not only because I don't like it but as I wrote
      probably all gVim users will have gnome-open due to dependencies
      but many of them won't have programs called by gnome-open. For example
      without modifications I cannot open PDF files because I don't have any
      gnome base PDF viewer.

      If ps test is bottleneck run it once - when loading netrw plugin.
      Later check only for g:netrw_browsex_viewer.

      > >3. Feature request for Vim7 (in this post because closely related to
      > > NetBrowseX): gx command. gf has limitation - it opens files in text
      > > mode which is "inconvenient" when you want to check graphic files.
      > >
      > > It could be done on script level by using netrw interface or
      > > completely by some simple extension "database".
      >
      > I've incorporated a gx mapping in netrw using netrw's NetrwBrowseX
      > function.

      Thanks. Since Bram likes the idea maybe make it official? Put in
      Vim documents something like:

      *gx* - reserved for |Netrw| plugin

      Since Netrw is part of Vim distribution there should be OK.

      m.
      --
      Sufficiently advanced satire is indistinguishable from reality.