Re: Happy Holidays! A question I always wanted to ask...

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 22, 2005
      Chao Zheng wrote:

      > I've been using VIM for a few years now and I've noticed that when you
      > are editing a big file,
      > but the contents are in 1 or 2 lines, VIM doesn't perform efficiently
      > anymore. It would then crawl to display the characters...
      >
      > ie. editing file.txt
      > line 1: [5mb of text]
      > line 2: [10mb of text]
      >
      > This kind of files are usually ill formatted html source codes where
      > they only use <br> for
      > the page layout, but not line-break for the source file. I use VIM
      > for everything ;)
      >
      > Will this be fixed or accommodated in VIM 7.0?

      This is nearly always caused by syntax highlighting. In Vim 7 the
      'synmaxcol' option was added to make it easy to handle long lines
      without disabling syntax highlighting completely.

      'synmaxcol' 'smc' number (default 3000)
      local to buffer
      {not in Vi}
      {not available when compiled without the |+syntax|
      feature}
      Maximum column in which to search for syntax items. In long lines the
      text after this column is not highlighted and following lines may not
      be highlighted correctly, because the syntax state is cleared.
      This helps to avoid very slow redrawing for an XML file that is one
      long line.
      Set to zero to remove the limit.

      --
      CART DRIVER: Bring out your dead!