Dropping support

  • George Reilly
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
      Bram, if you're dropping support for Mac OS 9, why not drop support for Windows 3.x (Win16), DOS, and other similarly obsolete systems?

      --
      /George V. Reilly mailto:george@...
      http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog/
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
        On 12/7/05, George Reilly <george@...> wrote:
        > Bram, if you're dropping support for Mac OS 9, why not drop support for Windows 3.x (Win16), DOS, and other similarly obsolete systems?

        Then what will I do on my 'Windows for Workgroups' servers?!

        Kidding 8)
      • Mikolaj Machowski
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
          Dnia środa, 7 grudnia 2005 22:32, George Reilly napisał:
          > Bram, if you're dropping support for Mac OS 9, why not drop support for
          > Windows 3.x (Win16), DOS, and other similarly obsolete systems?

          I have no hard data but from various sources I have an impression that DOS
          is quite widely used.

          Also there is also Win32 shell - DOS version should(?) work there.

          But users of early Win16 has probably moved to Win32.

          m.
        • Ali Akcaagac
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
            On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 17:00 -0600, Aaron Griffin wrote:
            > Then what will I do on my 'Windows for Workgroups' servers?!

            I think it's good lightening up VIM a bit for old systems. People can
            still use the 6.x series but the 7.x and upcoming series it might be
            better to clean up as good as possible to keep maintainability.

            Just my rought idea.

            mfg,

            Ali Akcaagac
          • George V. Reilly
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 7, 2005
              Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
              > Dnia środa, 7 grudnia 2005 22:32, George Reilly napisał:
              >
              >> Bram, if you're dropping support for Mac OS 9, why not drop support for
              >> Windows 3.x (Win16), DOS, and other similarly obsolete systems?
              >>

              > I have no hard data but from various sources I have an impression that DOS
              > is quite widely used.
              >
              > Also there is also Win32 shell - DOS version should(?) work there.
              >
              > But users of early Win16 has probably moved to Win32.

              For anyone who is still using a 20-year-old operating system, Vim 6.4 is
              probably the most advanced application that they're running -- by a
              significant margin. We should be encouraging them to join the 21st
              century, and one way to do that is not to keep enabling them with ever
              newer versions of Vim.

              There is no good reason to run the 16-bit DOS version under the Win32
              command shell. The Win32 console version works better, and it handles
              long filenames correctly.

              --
              /George V. Reilly george@...
              http://www.georgevreilly.com/blog
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2005
                George Reilly wrote:

                > Bram, if you're dropping support for Mac OS 9, why not drop support
                > for Windows 3.x (Win16), DOS, and other similarly obsolete systems?

                Maintenance for Mac OS has always been quite slow. And the old code
                made it more difficult to work on the OS/X code.

                Some people still run Windows 95/98 and even DOS is used in some
                specific applications. It's good to have Vim there. I can compile
                these versions without much trouble.

                The Win16 version isn't very popular, but so long as Vince keeps
                maintaining it I don't mind including his patches.

                --
                ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...
                DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin'