Re: vim7: completeopt=menu sort order

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
      On 11/11/05, Martin Stubenschrott <stubenschrott@...> wrote:

      > As a sidenote: does anybody know, when there will be a new vim alpha snapshot
      > (7.00.157 is quite old now - 1 month withouth any checkins)?

      As Bram is on vacation, we may not see the next Vim7 alpha snapshot
      for another two to three weeks.

      - Yegappan
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
        Johannes Zellner wrote:

        > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
        > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
        > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

        The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
        (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
        selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
        use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

        > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

        On what terminals would that work?

        99. The hum of a cooling fan and the click of keys is comforting to you.

      • Dr. Johannes Zellner
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 10:42 PM
          On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:39:23PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Johannes Zellner wrote:
          >
          > > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
          > > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
          > > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.
          >
          > The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
          > (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
          > selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
          > use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

          I'd really like to have an option here! When using CTRL-P (which I
          usually do, as it takes what I typed most recently) the completion menu
          appears below the cursor but the first selected item of the completion
          menu is at the bottom of the menu -- so it's far away from the current
          line, which I find quite annoying. If you insist on this ordering, I'd
          propose at least that in the case of typing CTRL-P, the menu should then
          preferable (if there's enough space) appear ABOVE the current line, so
          the closest match (for backward searching CTRL-P) which is displayed at
          the bottom of the menu is again closest to the cursor.

          What about stuff like

          " place menu above current line if enough space
          completeopt=menu-above

          and

          " always order the completion matches so that the first match is at
          " the top, no matter if CTRL-P or CTRL-N was typed.
          completeopt=menu-first-match-at-top

          Well, the option names are a bit lengthy, but you get the point.

          --
          Johannes