Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: vim7: completeopt=menu sort order

Expand Messages
  • Mikolaj Machowski
    ... For me it is the first item... ... Wouldn t it still take whole cell? IMO color is enough to differentiate popup menu from background. m.
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
    • 0 Attachment
      Dnia piątek, 11 listopada 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner napisał:
      > Hello,
      >
      > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
      > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
      > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

      For me it is the first item...

      > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

      Wouldn't it still take whole cell? IMO color is enough to differentiate
      popup menu from background.

      m.
    • Martin Stubenschrott
      ... It works correctly here - but the sorting depends on the complete plugin, its not necessarily alphabetical. But I always have the top most entry selected
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
      • 0 Attachment
        On Friday 11 November 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
        > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
        > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

        It works correctly here - but the sorting depends on the complete plugin, its
        not necessarily alphabetical.
        But I always have the top most entry selected after pressing ctrl-n or the
        like.

        > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

        First I thought that would also be the way it should be done, but now, I like
        the current behavior MUCH better.
        I think it:
        a) looks more professional
        b) doesn't waste so much space


        As a sidenote: does anybody know, when there will be a new vim alpha snapshot
        (7.00.157 is quite old now - 1 month withouth any checkins)?
        --
        Martin Stubenschrott
      • Johannes Zellner
        ... but it doesn t work when pressing ctrl-p! Suppose I ve complete=. (current buffer) and the buffer contains apple andy affiliation a
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
        • 0 Attachment
          On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 07:38:36PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
          > On Friday 11 November 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner wrote:
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
          > > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
          > > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.
          >
          > It works correctly here - but the sorting depends on the complete plugin, its
          > not necessarily alphabetical.
          > But I always have the top most entry selected after pressing ctrl-n or the
          > like.

          but it doesn't work when pressing ctrl-p! Suppose I've complete=.
          (current buffer) and the buffer contains

          apple
          andy
          affiliation

          a<--cursor is here

          Hitting ctrl-p, I get the menu excactly in the order as above

          apple
          andy
          affiliation <--this one is selected

          with the "affiliation selected" which is correct, but I'd rather like to
          have it sorted top-bottom like

          affiliation <--this one should be selected
          andy
          apple

          because "affiliation" is the first match, "andy" the second match and
          "apple" the third match. I just find it more intuitive to always have
          the first match on top. I find it quite irritating if the sort order
          depends on the search direction.

          I guess I'd love to have an option here ... ;-)

          --
          Johannes
        • Yegappan Lakshmanan
          ... As Bram is on vacation, we may not see the next Vim7 alpha snapshot for another two to three weeks. - Yegappan
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
          • 0 Attachment
            On 11/11/05, Martin Stubenschrott <stubenschrott@...> wrote:
            >
            >
            > As a sidenote: does anybody know, when there will be a new vim alpha snapshot
            > (7.00.157 is quite old now - 1 month withouth any checkins)?
            >

            As Bram is on vacation, we may not see the next Vim7 alpha snapshot
            for another two to three weeks.

            - Yegappan
          • Bram Moolenaar
            ... The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is selected.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
            • 0 Attachment
              Johannes Zellner wrote:

              > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
              > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
              > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

              The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
              (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
              selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
              use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

              > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

              On what terminals would that work?

              --
              hundred-and-one symptoms of being an internet addict:
              99. The hum of a cooling fan and the click of keys is comforting to you.

              /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net \\\
              /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
              \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
              \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html ///
            • Dr. Johannes Zellner
              ... I d really like to have an option here! When using CTRL-P (which I usually do, as it takes what I typed most recently) the completion menu appears below
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
              • 0 Attachment
                On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:39:23PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                >
                > Johannes Zellner wrote:
                >
                > > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
                > > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
                > > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.
                >
                > The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
                > (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
                > selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
                > use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

                I'd really like to have an option here! When using CTRL-P (which I
                usually do, as it takes what I typed most recently) the completion menu
                appears below the cursor but the first selected item of the completion
                menu is at the bottom of the menu -- so it's far away from the current
                line, which I find quite annoying. If you insist on this ordering, I'd
                propose at least that in the case of typing CTRL-P, the menu should then
                preferable (if there's enough space) appear ABOVE the current line, so
                the closest match (for backward searching CTRL-P) which is displayed at
                the bottom of the menu is again closest to the cursor.

                What about stuff like

                " place menu above current line if enough space
                completeopt=menu-above

                and

                " always order the completion matches so that the first match is at
                " the top, no matter if CTRL-P or CTRL-N was typed.
                completeopt=menu-first-match-at-top

                Well, the option names are a bit lengthy, but you get the point.

                --
                Johannes
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.