vim7: completeopt=menu sort order

  • Johannes Zellner
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 10, 2005
      Hello,

      1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
      Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
      at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

      2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

      best wishes,

      --
      Johannes
    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
        Dnia piątek, 11 listopada 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner napisał:
        > Hello,
        >
        > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
        > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
        > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

        For me it is the first item...

        > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

        Wouldn't it still take whole cell? IMO color is enough to differentiate
        popup menu from background.

        m.
      • Martin Stubenschrott
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
          On Friday 11 November 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
          > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
          > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

          It works correctly here - but the sorting depends on the complete plugin, its
          not necessarily alphabetical.
          But I always have the top most entry selected after pressing ctrl-n or the
          like.

          > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

          First I thought that would also be the way it should be done, but now, I like
          the current behavior MUCH better.
          I think it:
          a) looks more professional
          b) doesn't waste so much space

          As a sidenote: does anybody know, when there will be a new vim alpha snapshot
          (7.00.157 is quite old now - 1 month withouth any checkins)?
          --
          Martin Stubenschrott
        • Johannes Zellner
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
            On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 07:38:36PM +0100, Martin Stubenschrott wrote:
            > On Friday 11 November 2005 07:59, Johannes Zellner wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > >
            > > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
            > > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
            > > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.
            >
            > It works correctly here - but the sorting depends on the complete plugin, its
            > not necessarily alphabetical.
            > But I always have the top most entry selected after pressing ctrl-n or the
            > like.

            but it doesn't work when pressing ctrl-p! Suppose I've complete=.
            (current buffer) and the buffer contains

            apple
            andy
            affiliation

            a<--cursor is here

            Hitting ctrl-p, I get the menu excactly in the order as above

            apple
            andy
            affiliation <--this one is selected

            with the "affiliation selected" which is correct, but I'd rather like to
            have it sorted top-bottom like

            affiliation <--this one should be selected
            andy
            apple

            because "affiliation" is the first match, "andy" the second match and
            "apple" the third match. I just find it more intuitive to always have
            the first match on top. I find it quite irritating if the sort order
            depends on the search direction.

            I guess I'd love to have an option here ... ;-)

            --
            Johannes
          • Yegappan Lakshmanan
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 11, 2005
              On 11/11/05, Martin Stubenschrott <stubenschrott@...> wrote:

              > As a sidenote: does anybody know, when there will be a new vim alpha snapshot
              > (7.00.157 is quite old now - 1 month withouth any checkins)?

              As Bram is on vacation, we may not see the next Vim7 alpha snapshot
              for another two to three weeks.

              - Yegappan
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 19, 2005
                Johannes Zellner wrote:

                > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
                > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
                > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.

                The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
                (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
                selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
                use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

                > 2. wouldn't a frame (e.g. by those thin ACS lines) nice?

                On what terminals would that work?

                99. The hum of a cooling fan and the click of keys is comforting to you.

              • Dr. Johannes Zellner
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 4, 2006
                  On Sat, Nov 19, 2005 at 05:39:23PM +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                  > Johannes Zellner wrote:
                  >
                  > > 1. is it possible to change the sort order for the completeopt menu?
                  > > Currently the first (automatically selected) menu entry is placed
                  > > at the bottom of the menu, but I'd rather like it to be at the top.
                  >
                  > The order is what the completion function returns. When using CTRL-P
                  > (previous) the last match is selected, with CTRL-N the first match is
                  > selected. Otherwise the ordering of matches would depend on whether you
                  > use CTRL-N or CTRL-P

                  I'd really like to have an option here! When using CTRL-P (which I
                  usually do, as it takes what I typed most recently) the completion menu
                  appears below the cursor but the first selected item of the completion
                  menu is at the bottom of the menu -- so it's far away from the current
                  line, which I find quite annoying. If you insist on this ordering, I'd
                  propose at least that in the case of typing CTRL-P, the menu should then
                  preferable (if there's enough space) appear ABOVE the current line, so
                  the closest match (for backward searching CTRL-P) which is displayed at
                  the bottom of the menu is again closest to the cursor.

                  What about stuff like

                  " place menu above current line if enough space
                  completeopt=menu-above

                  and

                  " always order the completion matches so that the first match is at
                  " the top, no matter if CTRL-P or CTRL-N was typed.
                  completeopt=menu-first-match-at-top

                  Well, the option names are a bit lengthy, but you get the point.

                  --
                  Johannes