adding python to compilation

  • Jeremy Conlin
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2005
      I have been downloading/installing vim 7 with aap. I haven't needed
      python functionality until, well, now. I checked and noticed that vim
      isn't compiled with python functionality and would like to change
      that. Is this something that can be done with aap or do I need to
      download/compile manually? Oh, BTW, I am using a Mac, Tiger.
      Thanks,
      Jeremy
    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
        Dnia czwartek, 3 listopada 2005 22:37, Jeremy Conlin napisał:
        > I have been downloading/installing vim 7 with aap. I haven't needed
        > python functionality until, well, now. I checked and noticed that vim
        > isn't compiled with python functionality and would like to change
        > that. Is this something that can be done with aap or do I need to
        > download/compile manually? Oh, BTW, I am using a Mac, Tiger.

        Probably you should modify aap recipe. Hmm. In header of main.aap is
        note about config.arg where configure options should be put.

        m.
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
          Jeremy Conlin wrote:
          > I have been downloading/installing vim 7 with aap. I haven't needed
          > python functionality until, well, now. I checked and noticed that vim
          > isn't compiled with python functionality and would like to change
          > that. Is this something that can be done with aap or do I need to
          > download/compile manually? Oh, BTW, I am using a Mac, Tiger.
          > Thanks,
          > Jeremy

          You may compile Vim with python yourself, but only if you already have
          python installed. You may need to specify to the configure and/or make
          programs that you want to compile "with python".

          If your ":version" listing includes "+python/dyn" you can use the Python
          interface if and only if you have the _same_ version of the Python
          library as the one used at compile-time (usually the filename of the
          library is included in the "Compilation" line near the bottom of the
          ":version" listing). If it says "-python" you need a different executable.

          On my site there is a HowTo page about compiling Vim on Windows:
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm
          Part (but probably not all) of it may apply to compiling on the Mac too,
          but you will probably be a better judge of that than I am.

        • François Pinard
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 4, 2005
            [Jeremy Conlin]

            >I have been downloading/installing vim 7 with aap. I haven't needed
            >python functionality until, well, now. I checked and noticed that vim
            >isn't compiled with python functionality and would like to change
            >that. Is this something that can be done with aap or do I need to
            >download/compile manually? Oh, BTW, I am using a Mac, Tiger.

            Bram foresaw the need.

            You merely have to create vim7/src/config.arg beforehand. In case
            you'll find some usable ideas, here is the script I use for installaing
            Vim7, with multi-byte and Python included, and with English and French
            dictionaries included.

            #!/bin/bash
            sourcedir=/usr/tmp
            cvsroot=:pserver:anonymous@...:80/cvsroot/vim/vim7

            produire_config() {
            mkdir -p vim7/src
            echo >> vim7/src/config.arg '--enable-multibyte'
            echo >> vim7/src/config.arg '--enable-pythoninterp'
            }

            set -ex

            if [ -d $sourcedir/vim7 ]; then
            cd $sourcedir/vim7
            [ -f src/config.arg ] || produire_config
            aap update
            else
            mkdir -p $sourcedir/vim7
            cd $sourcedir/vim7