Re: Patch 6.4.001 (extra)

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17, 2005
      Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
      > On 10/17/05, A. J. Mechelynck <antoine.mechelynck@...> wrote:
      >> (Of course, the answer will also tell me how urgent it is to recompile.)
      >
      > Hi Tony,
      >
      > there is no need to, I would think. Global IME is a technology used in
      > Win 9x, to take advantage of the IMEs that would come bundled with
      > Internet Explorer as extra downloads. WinNT (2000,XP,2003,Vista)
      > handle CJKV input as an integral part of the operating system, the
      > software is different (even if some dlls may have similar names) and
      > the API are different as well, those are the ones supported by the IME
      > option in vim. In fact they conflict each other, installing Global IME
      > in a WinNT system (2000 onwards) can render it useless (I know from
      > first hand experience...). Using CJKV IMEs in a Western localized
      > Win9x was always a royal pain, so I wouldn't touch it with a long
      > pole. :-)
      >
      > --
      > Alejandro López-Valencia

      :-) Gracias, hombre. To input Chinese I use Vim, but no IME; and to
      input it into another program (e.g., an editing form on a Wikipedia page
      in my browser) I still use Vim, then the clipboard. To input it into Vim
      I use a copy of the Unicode Consortium unihan.txt file, on every line of
      which I have added the corresponding ideogram (using |:execute|,
      |sub-replace-expression| and |<Char->|); that (very big) file is ideal
      for searching according to various keys such as Kangxi radical+strokes,
      Nelson character number, Mandarin pronunciation, Traditional <=>
      Simplified etc. Once found, I use copy-paste or |i_CTRL-V_digit|. I
      cannot use most IMEs because usually I know the shape but not
      necessarily the pronunciation of the CJK character I want.