completion menu enter key feature request

  • Chris Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
      Hi Bram,

      That completion menu is great, but can I ask for a small change? It
      would be nice if the behaviour of the enter key was unchanged when
      using menu completion with only the traditional c-n or c-p keys.
      Using enter to leave the list makes a lot of sense, but it is very
      irritating if one wants both the advantages of a visual list and the
      speed of traditional completion.

      Thanks,
      Chris Allen
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
        Chris Allen wrote:

        > That completion menu is great, but can I ask for a small change? It
        > would be nice if the behaviour of the enter key was unchanged when
        > using menu completion with only the traditional c-n or c-p keys.=20
        > Using enter to leave the list makes a lot of sense, but it is very
        > irritating if one wants both the advantages of a visual list and the
        > speed of traditional completion.

        I first had it this way, without the special meaning of the Enter key,
        but I found myself hitting enter to select an entry too often. I guess
        it's a habit from other software that does completion, such as Firefox.

        I would expect in most situations you want to continue typing something
        after the completed word, thus forcing a line break just after accepting
        the completion would be rather rare.

        I also found it tempting to press 'j' and 'k' to select an entry from
        the menu. But supporting that would cause trouble for typing text.

        --
        BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
        ARTHUR: I have no quarrel with you, brave Sir knight, but I must cross

      • Chris Allen
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 6, 2005
          > I first had it this way, without the special meaning of the Enter key,
          > but I found myself hitting enter to select an entry too often. I guess
          > it's a habit from other software that does completion, such as Firefox.

          Yes, I think it works well in most situations, but generally only
          those where the up and down arrows are used for selection. I don't
          really see a need for it when only c-n and c-p are used, and it breaks
          the habit of years to not have any key other than c-n c-p produce its
          literal value.

          > I would expect in most situations you want to continue typing something
          > after the completed word, thus forcing a line break just after accepting
          > the completion would be rather rare.

          In most situations this is probably the case. I've been completing a
          lot of keywords at the end of lines today in LaTeX, however, which is
          why I thought I would mention it. If you want to keep the use of
          Enter in a menu entirely consistent that is fine — I am sure I shall
          cope.

          Thanks,
          Chris Allen