Omni completion

  • Aaron Griffin
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
      I'm really looking forward to a fully functional omni completion, for
      what it's worth.

      Just a couple questions:

      1) The current docs indicate it only functions for C. What is
      required to make this work for C++ as well (and other languages,
      actually - what is required from a generic standpoint?)

      2) Completion works in non-gui mode, but I know it was planned to have
      a curses-esque window popup. Any news on this? I'm just curious.

      3) I know exuberant-ctags was patched to include a scope qualifier.
      Is this required for all supported languages? If so, is there any
      parallel work being done on this?

      Thanks,
      Aaron Griffin
    • Doug Kearns
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
        On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 10:08:00AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:
        > I'm really looking forward to a fully functional omni completion, for
        > what it's worth.
        >
        > Just a couple questions:

        I'm still learning about this so take my answers with the proverbial
        'grain of salt'.

        > 1) The current docs indicate it only functions for C. What is
        > required to make this work for C++ as well (and other languages,
        > actually - what is required from a generic standpoint?)

        A completion function needs to be written. See :help 'omnifunc' and
        $VIMRUNTIME/autoload/*complete.vim for some examples.

        > 2) Completion works in non-gui mode, but I know it was planned to have
        > a curses-esque window popup. Any news on this? I'm just curious.

        The latest from CVS works with a popup.

        > 3) I know exuberant-ctags was patched to include a scope qualifier.
        > Is this required for all supported languages? If so, is there any
        > parallel work being done on this?

        There has been some work done to improve the Ruby tags generator.

        Regards,
        Doug
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 5, 2005
          Aaron Griffin wrote:

          > I'm really looking forward to a fully functional omni completion, for
          > what it's worth.
          >
          > Just a couple questions:
          >
          > 1) The current docs indicate it only functions for C. What is
          > required to make this work for C++ as well (and other languages,
          > actually - what is required from a generic standpoint?)

          It already works a little bit for C++. What is required is the C++
          specific things, such as recognizing ::. I don't really know enough
          about C++ to do this properly, thus hopefully someone picks up the C
          implementation and adds the C++ things. However, I'm still improving
          the C stuff.

          > 2) Completion works in non-gui mode, but I know it was planned to have
          > a curses-esque window popup. Any news on this? I'm just curious.

          What is a curses-esque window?

          For various GUIs a nice popup window should be used. This can be added
          per GUI. This always takes a lot of time to implement if you are not
          familiar with the GUI libraries, thus it would be best if various people
          do this. I probably have to help with the first one, since display
          updating will be different when not using the popupmenu code.

          > 3) I know exuberant-ctags was patched to include a scope qualifier.
          > Is this required for all supported languages? If so, is there any
          > parallel work being done on this?

          Currently this is only for C and similar languages. I'm not sure it
          also works for Java.

          Darren Hiebert apparently didn't have time to add the code yet...

          --
          I used to wonder about the meaning of life. But I looked it
          up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning