Re: compile gvimext.dll in Cygwin?

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2005
      Edward L. Fox wrote:
      > Hi Steve,
      >
      > I don't know why you want to compile gvimext.dll in cygwin. I'm not using
      > Windoze for days, but so far as I know, gvimext.dll is a shell extension for
      > Windoze Explorer. It privides a context menu when you right-click a file,
      > showing "Open with VIM..." and some other menu items.
      >
      > In most cases, gvim for cygwin is not available for the other Windoze based
      > applications, so I think gvimext.dll has no use at all. So just leave it alone
      > and live a happy life. :-)
      >
      > If there is anything mistake in my reply, please correct me. As I'm not using
      > cygwin for long.
      >

      > Regards,
      >
      > Edward L. Fox

      He wants to compile gvimext _using_ cygwin, not _for_ cygwin, just like
      I _use_ cygwin to produce Vim executables which don't need cygwin to
      run. (Make_cyg.mak uses cygwin gcc as a kind of "cross-compiler" to
      produce non-cygwin Windows executables.)

      Steve and I are more-or-less in the same business (compiling Vim for the
      users at large), except my 6.3 distribution is a zipped add-on to Bram's
      (or someone's), and Steve makes a full-fledged self-installer.

      This thread really belongs in the vim-dev list.