Re: Vim7: Listing the script where a map was defined

  • Yegappan Lakshmanan
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi Zdenek,

      On 8/31/05, Zdenek SEKERA <Zdenek.Sekera@...> wrote:

      > > Can you try the following commands (without any additional arguments) and
      > > see whether the script names are displayed?
      > >
      > > :verbose map
      > > :verbose function
      > > :verbose command
      > > :verbose autocmd
      >
      > Yes, I am now getting that but have a few comments:
      >
      > 1. when I do e.g. ':verbose function', I get a very long listing of
      > quite long lines that wrap around. e.g.: (just a short example):

      > function Uname()
      > Last set from /afs/cern.ch/user/s/sekera/.vim/AsNeeded/Uname.vim
      >
      > There are also *much* longer lines.
      > Would it be a bad idea to replace the $HOME part of the path by
      > the customary '~', that would considerably shorten the output.

      In the latest Vim7 snapshot (142), the home directory path in
      the script path is replaced with ~.

      > 2. I see a difference:
      > :verbose function Uname
      > ----
      > function Uname()name
      > Last set from /afs/cern.ch/user/s/sekera/.vim/AsNeeded/Uname.vim
      > 1 return substitute(system("uname"), " *\n", "", "")
      > endfunction
      > ----
      >
      > Notice different indenting (cosmetics) but more importantly the
      > the funny '...()name' part and the contents of the function itself.

      The display of extra characters after the function name is fixed in the
      latest Vim7 snapshot.

      - Yegappan
    • Zdenek Sekera
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 7, 2005

        I tried it, works well, I think this is a very useful
        modification of the output. Thanks!

        > > 2. I see a difference:
        > > :verbose function Uname
        > > ----
        > > function Uname()name
        > > Last set from
        > /afs/cern.ch/user/s/sekera/.vim/AsNeeded/Uname.vim
        > > 1 return substitute(system("uname"), " *\n", "", "")
        > > endfunction
        > > ----
        > >
        > > Notice different indenting (cosmetics) but more importantly the
        > > the funny '...()name' part and the contents of the
        > function itself.
        > >

        > The display of extra characters after the function name is
        > fixed in the
        > latest Vim7 snapshot.

        Indeed, thanks again.

        I still don't like the interspersing the "Last set...."
        line inside the function code for 'verbose function Uname'.
        Why not to just display the "Last set..." rather then the
        whole function code with it, when the code can be had with
        much more logical ':function Uname' ?? (I know you said
        that's how it was before and you didn't change it so it
        may need Bram's word on it).

        This brings me back to the previous suggestion of Dr.Chip
        to use simply a different command (I think he suggested
        'wherefrom') to get the "last set..." line. I liked (and
        said do) this suggestion very much. The command name really
        says what it is doing. Using the 'verbose...' is much more
        obscure, no doubt.

        So we would have:
        wherefrom function -> equiv to todays 'verbose function'
        wherefrom Uname -> would give just the "last set ..."
        line for the function Uname

        ...and same for commands, maps, ...etc.

        Cheers and thanks again! Very useful addition.

        ---Zdenek