Re: Problem when building the latest snapshot

  • Stefan Karlsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
      Tony Mechelynck wrote:

      > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Karlsson"
      > <stefan.74@...>

      Very strange ...

      When I do a ":set rl" or a ":set norl" nothin happens with the text and
      no error message shows up. However, when I do ":set rl?" I get an "E519
      Option not supported" message. Also, ":echo has('rightleft')" returns 0.
      But, as I said in the original post, the output from ":version" includes
      +rightleft.

      Anyone with a Make_mvc.mak-built Vim who sees the same behavior?

      -- Stefan
    • Tony Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
          > > When I do a ":set rl" or a ":set norl" nothin happens with the text
          and no
          > > error message shows up. However, when I do ":set rl?" I get an "E519
          > > Option not supported" message. Also, ":echo has('rightleft')"
          returns 0.
          > > But, as I said in the original post, the output from ":version"
          includes
          > > +rightleft.
          > [...]
          >
          > That seems to indicate that you got a "mixed link", i.e., version text
          > strings for a +rightleft build and options and/or commands for a
          -rightleft
          > build. Try "make clean" (replacing "make" by whatever is appropriate,
          maybe
          > "nmake /f Make_mvc.mak" or something) in order to delete all object and
          > executable files in src/ and below; then redo the make for your Vim
          > executable (redirecting the stdout to a logfile so you can refer to it in
          > case of failure). If it _still_ doesn't work, _then_ it might be a
          bug. In
          > that case, collect all relevant documentation and try to get Bram's help.

          You were right about mixed links: The makefiles use the build flags
          to decide what to delete. Consequently, when I did a "make clean"
          only the object files for the _default_ target where deleted. The
          makefile for Visual Studio uses the GUI, OLE, and all the foreign
          language (PYTHON, PERL, etc.) flags to decide what to erase.

          This is logic -- in a sick kind of way :-) -- if one considers
          "clean" to be a target like any other. Anyway, I prefer makefiles
          were clean wipes out ever object file within five miles radius.

          I still think there is a bug in Vim though. When building a version
          without right-to-left text (e.g. with the flag FEATURES=NORMAL) and
          then doing ":set rl" or ":set norl", Vim doesn't complain. It does,
          however, complain when doing ":set rl?".

          Thanks for your help!

          -- Stefan
        • Tony Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
            > You were right about mixed links: The makefiles use the build flags
            > to decide what to delete. Consequently, when I did a "make clean"
            > only the object files for the _default_ target where deleted. The
            > makefile for Visual Studio uses the GUI, OLE, and all the foreign
            > language (PYTHON, PERL, etc.) flags to decide what to erase.
            >
            > This is logic -- in a sick kind of way :-) -- if one considers
            > "clean" to be a target like any other. Anyway, I prefer makefiles
            > were clean wipes out ever object file within five miles radius.

            Some makefiles, but apparently not Make_mvc.mak, have a "distclean" target,
            which will clean away everything that can be built. (all exe files, all obj
            files, if_perl.c which is built from if_perl.xs, pathdef.c which is output
            directly from the makefile, etc.)

            > Thanks for your help!
            >
            > -- Stefan

            My pleasure