Problem when building the latest snapshot

  • Stefan Karlsson
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 5, 2005
      Hello,

      I've built the latest snapshot (vim-7.0140.zip) using .NET and the
      Make_mvc.mak makefile. It seems to work OK, but when I execute ":set rl"
      nothing happens, not even an error message shows up.

      This seems a bit strange, because although it is an alpha version, I
      think it works when the same snapshot is compiled with gcc/cygwin. Any
      ideas? Not that this particular feature (rigtht-to-left text) is
      anything I use, but it might be a sign that have messed up with the
      configuration.

      These are the flags I use:

      CPUNR=pentium4 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=yes MBYTE=yes IME=yes SNIFF=yes
      CSCOPE=yes WINVER=0x0500 PYTHON=E:/Development/Python PYTHON_VER=24

      -- Stefan

      P.S. The output from ":version" includes +rightleft.
    • Stefan Karlsson
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 5, 2005
        ... but it might be a sign that *I* have messed up with the configuration.

        Stefan Karlsson wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I've built the latest snapshot (vim-7.0140.zip) using .NET and the
        > Make_mvc.mak makefile. It seems to work OK, but when I execute ":set
        > rl" nothing happens, not even an error message shows up.
        >
        > This seems a bit strange, because although it is an alpha version, I
        > think it works when the same snapshot is compiled with gcc/cygwin. Any
        > ideas? Not that this particular feature (rigtht-to-left text) is
        > anything I use, but it might be a sign that have messed up with the
        > configuration.
        >
        > These are the flags I use:
        >
        > CPUNR=pentium4 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=yes MBYTE=yes IME=yes
        > SNIFF=yes CSCOPE=yes WINVER=0x0500 PYTHON=E:/Development/Python
        > PYTHON_VER=24
        >

        > -- Stefan
        >
        > P.S. The output from ":version" includes +rightleft.

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 5, 2005
          > I've built the latest snapshot (vim-7.0140.zip) using .NET and the
          > Make_mvc.mak makefile. It seems to work OK, but when I execute ":set rl"
          > nothing happens, not even an error message shows up.
          >
          > This seems a bit strange, because although it is an alpha version, I think
          > it works when the same snapshot is compiled with gcc/cygwin. Any ideas?
          > Not that this particular feature (rigtht-to-left text) is anything I use,
          > but it might be a sign that have messed up with the configuration.
          >
          > These are the flags I use:
          >
          > CPUNR=pentium4 FEATURES=BIG GUI=yes OLE=yes MBYTE=yes IME=yes SNIFF=yes
          > CSCOPE=yes WINVER=0x0500 PYTHON=E:/Development/Python PYTHON_VER=24
          >

          > -- Stefan
          >
          > P.S. The output from ":version" includes +rightleft.

          ":set rl" means "set the 'rightleft' option ON'. The text orientation should
          become right-to-left. In an empty window, the cursor should move to the
          right margin.

          ":set rl?" means "tell me whether 'rightleft' is currently set or not". The
          cursor should not move, the text orientation should not change, and either "
          rightleft" or "norightleft" (without the quotes) should appear at the very
          bottom of the screen (on or below the command-line). If 'verbose' is
          nonzero, or if prefixed by ":verbose", it should additionally indicate which
          script (if any) set the option.

          ":set rl!" or ":set invrl" should toggle the text orientation from
          left-to-right to right-to-left or vice-versa.

          ":echo has('rightleft')" (with the single quotes but without the double
          quotes) should answer 1 if +rightleft is compiled-in.

          You might want to compare your own-compiled version of Vim with mine, see
          http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/#vim7 (compiled with cygwin
          using -mno-cygwin to avoid depending on cygwin1.dll at run-time: the
          generated executables use msvcrt.dll, just like most Microsoft programs).
          You can check the ":version" listing there before downloading.

          If you compile several versions of Vim in succession with different
          configuration options, it might be better to make sure that all modules are
          rebuilt from scratch; otherwise you might find yourself linking modules
          compiled with the wrong defines, and the difference will not be reflected in
          the ":version" listing.

        • Stefan Karlsson
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Stefan Karlsson"
            > <stefan.74@...>

            Very strange ...

            When I do a ":set rl" or a ":set norl" nothin happens with the text and
            no error message shows up. However, when I do ":set rl?" I get an "E519
            Option not supported" message. Also, ":echo has('rightleft')" returns 0.
            But, as I said in the original post, the output from ":version" includes
            +rightleft.

            Anyone with a Make_mvc.mak-built Vim who sees the same behavior?

            -- Stefan
          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 6, 2005
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                > > When I do a ":set rl" or a ":set norl" nothin happens with the text
                and no
                > > error message shows up. However, when I do ":set rl?" I get an "E519
                > > Option not supported" message. Also, ":echo has('rightleft')"
                returns 0.
                > > But, as I said in the original post, the output from ":version"
                includes
                > > +rightleft.
                > [...]
                >
                > That seems to indicate that you got a "mixed link", i.e., version text
                > strings for a +rightleft build and options and/or commands for a
                -rightleft
                > build. Try "make clean" (replacing "make" by whatever is appropriate,
                maybe
                > "nmake /f Make_mvc.mak" or something) in order to delete all object and
                > executable files in src/ and below; then redo the make for your Vim
                > executable (redirecting the stdout to a logfile so you can refer to it in
                > case of failure). If it _still_ doesn't work, _then_ it might be a
                bug. In
                > that case, collect all relevant documentation and try to get Bram's help.

                You were right about mixed links: The makefiles use the build flags
                to decide what to delete. Consequently, when I did a "make clean"
                only the object files for the _default_ target where deleted. The
                makefile for Visual Studio uses the GUI, OLE, and all the foreign
                language (PYTHON, PERL, etc.) flags to decide what to erase.

                This is logic -- in a sick kind of way :-) -- if one considers
                "clean" to be a target like any other. Anyway, I prefer makefiles
                were clean wipes out ever object file within five miles radius.

                I still think there is a bug in Vim though. When building a version
                without right-to-left text (e.g. with the flag FEATURES=NORMAL) and
                then doing ":set rl" or ":set norl", Vim doesn't complain. It does,
                however, complain when doing ":set rl?".

                Thanks for your help!

                -- Stefan
              • Tony Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 9, 2005
                  > You were right about mixed links: The makefiles use the build flags
                  > to decide what to delete. Consequently, when I did a "make clean"
                  > only the object files for the _default_ target where deleted. The
                  > makefile for Visual Studio uses the GUI, OLE, and all the foreign
                  > language (PYTHON, PERL, etc.) flags to decide what to erase.
                  >
                  > This is logic -- in a sick kind of way :-) -- if one considers
                  > "clean" to be a target like any other. Anyway, I prefer makefiles
                  > were clean wipes out ever object file within five miles radius.

                  Some makefiles, but apparently not Make_mvc.mak, have a "distclean" target,
                  which will clean away everything that can be built. (all exe files, all obj
                  files, if_perl.c which is built from if_perl.xs, pathdef.c which is output
                  directly from the makefile, etc.)

                  > Thanks for your help!
                  >
                  > -- Stefan

                  My pleasure