Re: More spell files available

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
      Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

      > > I notice that when adding ",en" the scoring changes. The
      > > sound-a-like mechanism for English is also used for Polish. Perhaps
      > > we should not do that?
      >
      > It would be the best.

      OK, I'll look into using the sound folding only for the language it is
      specified for.

      > > However, if you would have used:
      > > :set spellang=en,en-math
      >
      > Can Vim recognise difference between en,pl (or any other lang code?)
      >
      > If could make difference for en,pl but use the same technic for
      > en,en-math...

      The main issue would actually be the additions. This is what someone
      adds to his personal dictionary with "zg". You do want sound folding
      for that.

      Otherwise, if there is a language specified with two letters, it would
      be possible to use the same sound folding for other languages with these
      letters that don't specify sound folding itself. That would work for
      "en", "en-math", "en-whatever". Hopefully this isn't too tricky.

      > > Perhaps you can add SOFO items to the Polish spell file? That would
      > > give better sound folding and suggestions. And we can avoid using the
      > > English sound folding for Polish.
      >
      > Don't think so. As i understand from ":help SOFO" this is
      > letter-for-letter mechanism while in Polish there is many
      > letter-for-2letters exchanges.

      You would need to use SAL items them. That's a lot more complicated,
      but also provides the possibility for more accurate sounds-a-like
      matching.

      > Also made some tests and only use of REP was making significant
      > improvement in suggestions.

      OK. You could suggest this to the maintainers of the Polish word list.

      > Maybe also Vim could guess which language is currently used.
      > I proposed it previously: Get current line with 1 or 2 lines of context
      > (3-5 lines total), pass it to spell checking probing each language from
      > spelllang separately. Give priority to settings of language with lower
      > number of errors.

      It's possible, but in border cases this will go wrong. Especially when
      mixing short lines of Polish and English. I also think there is not
      much use for it, since Vim already supports mixing languages.

      --
      "Hit any key to continue" it said, but nothing happened after F sharp.

    • Mikolaj Machowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 4, 2005
        Dnia niedziela, 4 września 2005 17:52, Bram Moolenaar napisał:
        > > > Perhaps you can add SOFO items to the Polish spell file? That would
        > > > give better sound folding and suggestions. And we can avoid using
        > > > the English sound folding for Polish.
        > >
        > > Don't think so. As i understand from ":help SOFO" this is
        > > letter-for-letter mechanism while in Polish there is many
        > > letter-for-2letters exchanges.
        >
        > You would need to use SAL items them. That's a lot more complicated,
        > but also provides the possibility for more accurate sounds-a-like
        > matching.

        see below
        > > Also made some tests and only use of REP was making significant
        > > improvement in suggestions.
        >
        > OK. You could suggest this to the maintainers of the Polish word list.

        I tested it 2 month ago and only REP has significant improvement in
        suggestions (SAL only slight). My REP lines are from the beginning of
        July in kurnik files.

        m.