[BUG or FEATURE REQUEST] Cannot specify a bold font in guifont in a gui_gtk2

  • Nelson Benítez
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hi,
      I'm switching from gedit to gvim with gtk2 interface, I was able to
      change the default colorscheme and font, but I could'nt set my specified
      font to be bold. After googling for a while it seems that the gtk2
      interface is the *only* that don't support bold attribute in 'guifont'
      property.

      So it would be cool you could have that feature in the TODO list for
      next versions of gvim. Also, maybe you know of a possible workaround to
      this...

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 4, 2005
        Nelso Benítez wrote:

        > I'm switching from gedit to gvim with gtk2 interface, I was able to
        > change the default colorscheme and font, but I could'nt set my specified
        > font to be bold. After googling for a while it seems that the gtk2
        > interface is the *only* that don't support bold attribute in 'guifont'
        > property.
        >
        > So it would be cool you could have that feature in the TODO list for
        > next versions of gvim. Also, maybe you know of a possible workaround to
        > this...

        :set guifont=Monospace\ Bold\ 10

        Works fine for me...

        --
        "Hit any key to continue" does _not_ mean you can hit the on/off button!

      • Nelson Benítez
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 4, 2005
          Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > :set guifont=Monospace\ Bold\ 10
          >
          > Works fine for me...

          Thank you :) , I tested other combinations like "Monospace\ 10\ Bold"
          but not that in concrete... Nevertheless it's curious that it didn't
          exist an example guifont like that in any place I searched (google,vim
          pages), but now I hope google will index this email so that won't be a
          problem anymore :).
        • Steve Hall
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 4, 2005
            On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 16:29 +0000, Nelson Benítez wrote:
            > Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > :set guifont=Monospace\ Bold\ 10
            > >
            > > Works fine for me...
            >
            > Thank you :) , I tested other combinations like "Monospace\ 10\
            > Bold" but not that in concrete... Nevertheless it's curious that it
            > didn't exist an example guifont like that in any place I searched
            > (google,vim pages), but now I hope google will index this email so
            > that won't be a problem anymore :).

            If you try

            :set guifont=*

            you can use the resulting dialog to set whatever you want. Then try

            :echo &guifont

            to see what has resulted. (Remember to escape spaces to use at the
            command line/vimrc.

            --
            Steve Hall [ digitect mindspring com ]
          • Nelson Benítez
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 4, 2005
              Steve Hall wrote:
              > On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 16:29 +0000, Nelson Benítez wrote:
              >
              >>Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >>
              >>> :set guifont=Monospace\ Bold\ 10
              >>>
              >>>Works fine for me...
              >>
              >>Thank you :) , I tested other combinations like "Monospace\ 10\
              >>Bold" but not that in concrete... Nevertheless it's curious that it
              >>didn't exist an example guifont like that in any place I searched
              >>(google,vim pages), but now I hope google will index this email so
              >>that won't be a problem anymore :).
              >

              > If you try
              >
              > :set guifont=*

              That don't works with gtk2 gvim interface, but it's not a problem (see
              below).

              > you can use the resulting dialog to set whatever you want. Then try
              >
              > :echo &guifont
              >
              > to see what has resulted. (Remember to escape spaces to use at the
              > command line/vimrc.

              This is a very good tip, thank you, I can select any font combination in
              the gtk2 ui dialog for picking font and see the resulting variable
              with that command.