Re: [vim7] Background detection for rxvt

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2005
      Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

      > Vim includes some fairly primitive code which tries to figure out a
      > value for the background setting. The attached patch adds support for
      > background detection in rxvt-based terminals (rxvt, aterm,
      > rxvt-unicode). It works via the COLORFGBG environment variable.

      Thanks, I'll include it in Vim 7.

      > There is also a terminfo sequence for xterm which gets the background
      > colour. I could make a patch to enable this too. However, it will cause
      > huge problems with some terminals that falsely set TERM=xterm...

      We already check the version of the xterm/rxvt to decide whether to send
      the codes to obtain termcap codes. This is in term.c req_codes_from_term()
      and following. This obtains the number of colors used for example. For
      me that's important, since I compile xterm with 88 colors and the
      termcap/terminfo doesn't know that.

      Requesting the background probably fits in there somewhere. Problem may
      be that the response may come after initializations, and then changing
      'background' has side effects. But it's worth it, it's very annoying to
      end up with yellow text on a white background.

      110. You actually volunteer to become your employer's webmaster.