Re: spelling suggestions problem

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 18, 2005
      Chris Allen wrote:

      > > You state it very carefully. One might actually argue that words for
      > > other regions, which would be highlighted with SpellLocal, should not
      > > appear in the suggestions at all. Thus the current behavior is a bug
      > > that needs to be fixed.
      >
      > That is a possibility, but it might also be nice to see some
      > non-regional words for a variety of reasons. The best reason I can
      > think of is that the dictionary for en_gb, at least, and I imagine
      > many others, is not particularly good, and many valid words such as
      > 'movie' appear as regional variants. Yesterday I was thinking that
      > this was probably a good enough reason to see suggestions from other
      > dictionaries, but having thought about it for a night I think I agree
      > with you - if people want suggestions from other regions they can
      > easily append to their spelllang setting.

      I found the problem: when a sound-a-like word was used for a suggestion
      the region was not checked.

      After correcting this I still noticed words from other regions quite
      high in the suggestion list. I adjusted the score to move them down in
      the list.

      > Is this change likely to speed up the suggestion search? I think it
      > would be quite neat if the suggestion system was fast enough, on
      > reasonably modern hardware, that a plugin could pick up the most
      > recent spelling error and suggest a single replacement in the message
      > line which the user could accept with a key binding if right. The
      > suggestion system, aside from non-regional words, seems to be plenty
      > accurate for this to be useful to me, but the suggestion mechanism
      > itself is still too slow for it to be feasible on my iBook G4.

      If you set 'spellsuggest' to "fast" and the language doesn't have too
      many words, such as English, then finding suggestions is quite fast. As
      soon as the whole word tree needs to be searched to do sound folding it
      becomes slow.

      89. In addition to your e-mail address being on your business
      cards you even have your own domain.