Re: Vim php interface.

  • GI
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 2, 2005
      On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 08:13:33PM -0400, François Pinard wrote:

      > [Ed Peschko]
      >
      > > If you turn down quality patches to the core for vim, then you give
      > > people no incentive to participate. This makes it so other features
      > > *don't* get implemented, and makes talented developers turn elsewhere.
      >
      > That's only normal. If a talented developer wants Vim to take
      > directions which contradict what the real maintainer wants, and the
      > maintainer resists, that talented developer may go elsewhere. It does
      > not mean that all talented developers will leave.

      Going elsewhere is not really a bad thing. Many "forks" of some projects
      have turned out pretty nicely (e.g. xemacs, or one of the many xterm
      forks). Vim is itself a fork of vi / nvi.

      I should also point out the existence of yzis. Their idea was to make
      vim fully embeddable as a kpart. Their goals were to make yzis "feature
      rich" and a "fully embeddable kpart". It goes against the vim philosophy
      (which personally I like), so the developers forked vim (kvim actually)
      and called it yzis. Maybe it'll evenutally turn out to be what you like
      (with php & kitchen-sink). Maybe you won't like it :).

      GI

      --
      'Teamwork' -- The possibilty of putting the blame on others.
    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3, 2005
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca