Re: Vim php interface.

  • François Pinard
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 2 5:13 PM
      [Ed Peschko]

      > If you turn down quality patches to the core for vim, then you give
      > people no incentive to participate. This makes it so other features
      > *don't* get implemented, and makes talented developers turn elsewhere.

      That's only normal. If a talented developer wants Vim to take
      directions which contradict what the real maintainer wants, and the
      maintainer resists, that talented developer may go elsewhere. It does
      not mean that all talented developers will leave.

      I maintained many packages for a lot of years, and received really many
      suggestions and patches from all my users. The overall experience
      has been overwhelmingly good and satisfying. However, once or twice,
      not often, I allowed talented contributors to contradict the overall
      direction I wanted to set, and in each of these few cases, I very much
      regretted it, especially those people ran away afterwards, leaving me
      with all the trouble. Such things could kill a project, in practice.

      > Hence, paradoxically you could be *increasing* the maintenance burden
      > by forcing the work to be done by Bram and Bram alone. And increasing
      > its fragility by concentrating all knowledge about vim into the hands
      > of Bram alone.

      That's why Bram may decide to limit the amount of things he has to
      know. Take Emacs as an example. It uses so many things that no
      maintainer really understands it all anymore. Richard knows a lot, but
      not all, there are areas he really depends on others. And finding new
      maintainers is nearly an impossible mission.

      If Bram keeps Vim simple enough, he might decide one day to stop
      maintaining Vim, and still be able to find someone to replace him.

      > Like I said, I've used the vimshell patch for months now, and it is a
      > *quality patch*. There really is no reason why it should be excluded.

      Whatever Bram decides on this one, I'm sure he will have good reasons.
      And he does not ought to convince everybody that his reasons are good.

      --
      François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca
    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3 10:42 AM
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca