Re: Vim php interface.

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 2, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Ligesh" <gxlists@...>
      To: "Aaron Griffin" <aaronmgriffin@...>
      Cc: <vim-dev@...>
      Sent: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 9:39 AM
      Subject: Re: Vim php interface.
      [...]

      > Again you are ignoring the situation here. I wouldn't dream of asking BRAM
      > to write a terminal emulation. But the fact is that code has been already
      > written, and all that is needed is to integrate the code. So the question
      > that we should ask is: will integrating this code create extra work for
      > Bram. Will it add something to the main code that will make it more
      > difficult to maintain. Will it hurt the main vim tree in any way. That is
      > all.
      [...]

      It's not going to hurt the main tree because Bram has said several times
      that he is not going to add it to the main tree. If you want to make changes
      to the Vim code and own-compile them, OK, go ahead. The license allows it.
      But as bugfixes are added to the main tree, you will have to port them to
      your "branch" if you don't want to lag behind. Vince Negri's patch, which I
      mentioned earlier, was made (latest) against 6.3.0. It worked with "line
      offset" warnings until 6.3.028. After that it stopped working. Since (IIUC)
      Vince is not currently working on that project, if you want to use it you
      gotta downgrade to 6.3.028 or earlier. You can see how often patches are
      applied to the main tree. Porting them to your own-coded version may be a
      lifetime job. Now if you still want to do it, go ahead.

    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3, 2005
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca