Re: Vim php interface.

  • Ligesh
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 2, 2005
      On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 01:42:48AM -0500, Aaron Griffin wrote:

      > > And with vim 7 - debugging features and all - I am sure you will not be able to maintain that 'mere editor' charade anymore. Not with a straight face at least. :-)
      >
      > I think you're misunderstanding something again: no one is claiming
      > vim isn't powerful and important with the "mere editor" statements...
      > but most of us feel that vim should only edit text - personally I
      > would much rather have Bram spending his time getting
      > intellisense-like completions together than making vim emulate a
      > terminal... xterm/aterm/urxvt do that fine for me.... I don't need
      > another terminal emulator.

      Again you are ignoring the situation here. I wouldn't dream of asking BRAM to write a terminal emulation. But the fact is that code has been already written, and all that is needed is to integrate the code. So the question that we should ask is: will integrating this code create extra work for Bram. Will it add something to the main code that will make it more difficult to maintain. Will it hurt the main vim tree in any way. That is all.

      The one feature I am really waiting for is the intellsense, especially since I already have debugger integrated. Vim with Intellisense, and I will be 10-20 times more productive than the user of visual studio. :-) In fact, I had started work on a primitive intellisense using vimscript, but now I don't need that.

      > And while you broght it up: no vim is *NOT* your mailer - vim edits
      > your mail, but does not do the actual mailing (unless you made some
      > huge vim scripts), no vim is *NOT* your media player - unless you've
      > somehow piped an aalib enabled mplayer output stream to vim...
      >
      > It's external apps that do all that - they may be integrated with vim
      > with some simple scripting, but that is all.

      Xmms is considered to be media player. It really doesn't have an mp3 decoder. It uses the mpg123's decoder as a module. I just use mpg123 (and like xmms people, I patched the mpg123 code with a proper equalizer) directly. If xmms is a media player, so is vim. As for mailer, the primary mailboxes are displayed in vim. Then VIM calls mutt with each mailbox, and not the other way round. So my primary mailer is vim which in turn calls mutt.

      > For the most part you got nothing but negative responses on this
      > thread, so why do you say things like "If just adding 3000 lines of
      > CLEAN code will make a lot of people of happy"?

      I had seen a lot of people request for some basic features. Just because they are not vocal in the mailing list doesn't mean that they don't exist.

      We should only consider if there is any drawback to adding a feature. Again, if it is not turn-offable at compile time, I wouldn't recommend it. But if it doesn't affect anyone who doesn't want it, and a lot of people find it useful, then why not?

      --
      :: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com
    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3, 2005
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca