Re: Vim php interface.

  • Aaron Griffin
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 1, 2005
      On 8/2/05, Ligesh <gxlists@...> wrote:
      > Since everything can be turned on or off at compile time, it is not going to affect people who want a lean vim. Currently - at least for vim fanatics - vim has stopped being a mere editor. To me it is my mailer, my media player, and of course, I had very early on written a debugger integration system.) While I agree with Bram that we shouldn't add unnecessary features into the core of vim, we should decide each of them in a case by case basis, and not just take an inflexible stance of 'strict editor'. If just adding 3000 lines of CLEAN code will make a lot of people of happy, and has absolutely NO drawbacks (people who don't want it, turn it off at compile time) other than that it impinges on some abstract principle, I would say go for it.
      >
      > And with vim 7 - debugging features and all - I am sure you will not be able to maintain that 'mere editor' charade anymore. Not with a straight face at least. :-)

      I think you're misunderstanding something again: no one is claiming
      vim isn't powerful and important with the "mere editor" statements...
      but most of us feel that vim should only edit text - personally I
      would much rather have Bram spending his time getting
      intellisense-like completions together than making vim emulate a
      terminal... xterm/aterm/urxvt do that fine for me.... I don't need
      another terminal emulator.

      And while you broght it up: no vim is *NOT* your mailer - vim edits
      your mail, but does not do the actual mailing (unless you made some
      huge vim scripts), no vim is *NOT* your media player - unless you've
      somehow piped an aalib enabled mplayer output stream to vim...

      It's external apps that do all that - they may be integrated with vim
      with some simple scripting, but that is all.

      For the most part you got nothing but negative responses on this
      thread, so why do you say things like "If just adding 3000 lines of
      CLEAN code will make a lot of people of happy"?
    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3, 2005
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca