Re: Vim php interface.

  • Ligesh
    Message 1 of 80 , Aug 1, 2005
      On Mon, Aug 01, 2005 at 06:48:17PM -0700, Ed Peschko wrote:
      > > Vim can edit files. It can also do some related tasks like syntax colouring
      > > or directory browsing. It was never meant to do _everything_. In particular:
      > >
      > > - Vim cannot run a shell interactively in a Vim window (but it can run a
      > > batch process in a shell and display the results afterwards).
      > >

      > I'm just going to throw in my two cents here:
      >
      > vim *can* run a shell interactively, all you need is a small patch
      > available here:
      >
      > http://www.wana.at/vimshell
      >
      > and from the web page:

      I agree with Ed here. We should stop being so paranoid about 'feature creep'. Are we like those people, who, because they cannot do anything in moderation, avoid it altogether. Are we going to discard good features just because they are against some abstract principles? I think terminal emulation is good idea, at least from what its author has written, he claims it is a very clean patch which doesn't touch the main code base of vim.

      Since everything can be turned on or off at compile time, it is not going to affect people who want a lean vim. Currently - at least for vim fanatics - vim has stopped being a mere editor. To me it is my mailer, my media player, and of course, I had very early on written a debugger integration system.) While I agree with Bram that we shouldn't add unnecessary features into the core of vim, we should decide each of them in a case by case basis, and not just take an inflexible stance of 'strict editor'. If just adding 3000 lines of CLEAN code will make a lot of people of happy, and has absolutely NO drawbacks (people who don't want it, turn it off at compile time) other than that it impinges on some abstract principle, I would say go for it.

      And with vim 7 - debugging features and all - I am sure you will not be able to maintain that 'mere editor' charade anymore. Not with a straight face at least. :-)

      Thanks.

      --
      :: Ligesh :: http://ligesh.com
    • François Pinard
      Message 80 of 80 , Aug 3, 2005
        [Bram Moolenar]

        > Python can do this, of course:

        > a = {'first': 'first', 'second' : 'second'}

        > class Strange:
        > """doesn't do anytning"""

        > aobject = Strange()

        > for key in a.keys():
        > aobject.__dict__[key] = a[key]

        Even faster, the last two lines could read (untested):

        aobject.__dict__.update(a)

        --
        François Pinard http://pinard.progiciels-bpi.ca