Cannot build ja.sjis.mo

  • Tony Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 9, 2005
      Hi Bram,

      Here's an excerpt from my make log for the message translations for Vim
      7.00aa.0106 (in French, probably because of my "country options" for Dos
      boxes). "Séquence de contrôle invalide" means "invalid control sequence" and
      "trop d'erreurs, j'abandonne" means "too many errors, I give up". ;-)

      /bin/msgfmt -o ja.sjis.mo ja.sjis.po
      ja.sjis.po:74:23: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:310:15: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:390:17: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:480:31: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:500:32: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:608:18: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:686:64: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:694:18: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:935:21: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:994:31: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1006:22: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1050:38: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1215:18: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1334:32: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1339:50: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1344:64: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1349:20: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1375:32: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1379:32: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      ja.sjis.po:1384:32: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
      /bin/msgfmt: trop d'erreurs, j'abandonne

      I'm removing ja.sjis from the list of languages until you (or someone) can
      figure out what happened and how to cure it. With the attached
      src/po/Make_cyg.mak (where the only change is the removal of ja.sjis from
      the list of languages and of ja.sjis.mo from the list of .mo files) build
      proceeds to end, all cpxxx .mo files are built. I'm going to upload them (as
      part of my 7.00aa.0106 distribution) immediately after sending this mail,
      expect them within 5 to 10 minutes.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 11, 2005
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > Here's an excerpt from my make log for the message translations for Vim
        > 7.00aa.0106 (in French, probably because of my "country options" for Dos
        > boxes). "Séquence de contrôle invalide" means "invalid control sequence" and
        > "trop d'erreurs, j'abandonne" means "too many errors, I give up". ;-)
        >
        > /bin/msgfmt -o ja.sjis.mo ja.sjis.po
        > ja.sjis.po:74:23: s'equence de contr^ole invalide
        [...]

        It works fine on Unix, thus there must be something wrong with the way
        the file is used. Please check out the way OLD_PO_FILE_INPUT is used in
        the Unix makefile. You may need to do this in Make_cyg.mak as well. It
        tells the translation tools that the format of the text is the "old
        style" strings, where backslashes are doubled. The new format is not
        portable but they insisted on using it, the extra environment variable
        helps to work around the problem.

        --
        E M A C S
        s e l o h

      • Tony Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 11, 2005
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > > It works fine on Unix, thus there must be something wrong with the way
            > > the file is used. Please check out the way OLD_PO_FILE_INPUT is used in
            > > the Unix makefile. You may need to do this in Make_cyg.mak as well. It
            > > tells the translation tools that the format of the text is the "old
            > > style" strings, where backslashes are doubled. The new format is not
            > > portable but they insisted on using it, the extra environment variable
            > > helps to work around the problem.
            >
            > I added OLD_PO_FILE_INPUT=yes and OLD_PO_FILE_OUTPUT=yes and now it works.
            > The src/po/Make_cyg.mak with this change is appended. I have just
            > re-uploaded the distribution and updated the link at
            > http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/#vim7 (still at snapshot
            > number 106 but with a zipfilename ending in 106a to show the difference with
            > the earlier zip for the same snapshot). You may want to compare its
            > vim70aa/lang/ja.sjis/LC_MESSAGES/vim.mo with yours to see if it looks OK.

            Thanks, I'll include the new Makefile. I'm glad it was easy to solve.

            > Note: Thanks for mentioning these environment variables, none of
            > "msgfmt --help", "man msgfmt" and "info msgfmt" (on my Cygwin installation)
            > make any mention of it AFAICT.

            It's a pity they don't document this. Especially since a lot of people
            are not aware of the problems with a backslash in the second byte of a
            double-byte character.

            Perhaps you can figure out where to report this omission.

            --
            I have to exercise early in the morning before my brain
            figures out what I'm doing.

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 12, 2005
              >> Note: Thanks for mentioning these environment variables, none of
              >> "msgfmt --help", "man msgfmt" and "info msgfmt" (on my Cygwin
              >> installation)
              >> make any mention of it AFAICT.
              >
              > It's a pity they don't document this. Especially since a lot of people
              > are not aware of the problems with a backslash in the second byte of a
              > double-byte character.
              >
              > Perhaps you can figure out where to report this omission.

              (Below, quoted text appears between pairs of <<<<<).

              A paragraph near the bottom of "man msgfmt" says:

              <<<<<
              REPORTING BUGS
              Report bugs to <bug-gnu-gettext@...>.
              <<<<<

              The last line of the same says:

              <<<<<
              GNU gettext-tools 0.14.1 January 2004
              MSGFMT(1)
              <<<<<

              It says also, however, that the texinfo document is maintained more
              accurately than the manpage. "info msgfmt" followed by t shows at the top:

              <<<<<
              File: gettext.info, Node: Top, Next: Introduction, Prev: (dir), Up:
              (dir)

              GNU `gettext' utilities
              ***********************

              This manual documents the GNU gettext tools and the GNU libintl library,
              version 0.14.1.
              <<<<<

              "Index" followed by "bug report address" shows the following "small" page:

              <<<<<
              File: gettext.info, Node: Introduction, Next: Basics, Prev: Top, Up: Top

              Introduction
              ************

              This manual is still in _DRAFT_ state. Some sections are still
              empty, or almost. We keep merging material from other sources
              (essentially e-mail folders) while the proper integration of this
              material is delayed.

              In this manual, we use _he_ when speaking of the programmer or
              maintainer, _she_ when speaking of the translator, and _they_ when
              speaking of the installers or end users of the translated program.
              This is only a convenience for clarifying the documentation. It is
              _absolutely_ not meant to imply that some roles are more appropriate to
              males or females. Besides, as you might guess, GNU `gettext' is meant
              to be useful for people using computers, whatever their sex, race,
              religion or nationality!

              This chapter explains the goals sought in the creation of GNU
              `gettext' and the free Translation Project. Then, it explains a few
              broad concepts around Native Language Support, and positions message
              translation with regard to other aspects of national and cultural
              variance, as they apply to to programs. It also surveys those files
              used to convey the translations. It explains how the various tools
              interact in the initial generation of these files, and later, how the
              maintenance cycle should usually operate.

              Please send suggestions and corrections to:

              Internet address:
              bug-gnu-gettext@...

              Please include the manual's edition number and update date in your
              messages.

              * Menu:

              * Why:: The Purpose of GNU `gettext'
              * Concepts:: I18n, L10n, and Such
              * Aspects:: Aspects in Native Language Support
              * Files:: Files Conveying Translations
              * Overview:: Overview of GNU `gettext'
              <<<<<

              Do you think you could write up a bug report? I believe that your byline
              would carry more authority than mine.