Re: rare prefixes

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
      Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

      > > I have now implemented rare prefixes.
      [...]

      > Thanks. I have adapted some of the programs in the hspell package into a
      > script that generates input files with rare prefixes. It appears to work
      > fine. The script is attached.

      I'm glad it works properly. I won't use the script, since I don't want
      to be the maintainer for all the various spell files!

      I have now moved the building blocks for the spell files to
      runtime/spell/LL, where LL is the language name. I am using an Aap
      recipe to download the OpenOffice.org spell files, apply a patch and
      generate the .spl file. That works quite nicely to avoid having to do
      it all manually.

      Now we need maintainers! I have already made a few examples for
      English, French, Polish, etc. The idea is that the maintainer tweaks
      the .aff and .dic files for generating a .spl file with Vim. Then make
      a patch with "aap diff" and send that to me. I'll include that with the
      distribution, so that everybody can produce their own .spl files.

      I also make the .spl files available on the ftp site (for those people
      who can't or don't want to build .spl files themselves):

      ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/runtime/spell/

      Please have a look at the Hebrew one and provide me with files/patches
      for runtime/spell/he/. I'll also generate an iso-8859-2 one, but I
      doubt that it's valid (my FreeBSD system doesn't have a iso-8859-2
      locale for Hebrew). Adding the UPP/FOL/LOW lines in the .aff file will
      help.

      236. You start saving URL's in your digital watch.

    • Moshe Kaminsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
        * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [05/07/05 12:32]:

        > Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
        >
        > > > I have now implemented rare prefixes.
        > [...]
        >
        > > Thanks. I have adapted some of the programs in the hspell package into a
        > > script that generates input files with rare prefixes. It appears to work
        > > fine. The script is attached.
        >
        > I'm glad it works properly. I won't use the script, since I don't want
        > to be the maintainer for all the various spell files!
        >
        > I have now moved the building blocks for the spell files to
        > runtime/spell/LL, where LL is the language name. I am using an Aap
        > recipe to download the OpenOffice.org spell files, apply a patch and
        > generate the .spl file. That works quite nicely to avoid having to do
        > it all manually.

        I didn't mean you should use the script, I just wanted to make it
        available somewhere, so that the files can be generated. I could send a
        patch against the files I generated, but it will be longer than the
        original version: Many of the prefixes are rare, quite a lot of prefixes
        are omitted in the Myspell version since they are rare, and there are
        other differences.

        I could simply supply my version of the files, but I'm not sure that my
        choice of rare prefixes is good. The script allows to specify them, and
        also has some other options to affect the list.

        In fact, playing with the suggestions, I realised that my approach was
        too simple-minded. I will a new version with more options in a few days.

        > Now we need maintainers! I have already made a few examples for
        > English, French, Polish, etc. The idea is that the maintainer tweaks
        > the .aff and .dic files for generating a .spl file with Vim. Then make
        > a patch with "aap diff" and send that to me. I'll include that with the
        > distribution, so that everybody can produce their own .spl files.
        >
        > I also make the .spl files available on the ftp site (for those people
        > who can't or don't want to build .spl files themselves):
        >
        > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/runtime/spell/
        >
        > Please have a look at the Hebrew one and provide me with files/patches
        > for runtime/spell/he/. I'll also generate an iso-8859-2 one, but I
        > doubt that it's valid (my FreeBSD system doesn't have a iso-8859-2
        > locale for Hebrew).

        Did you mean iso-8859-8? I can generate them, but again, we first need
        to choose the input.

        > Adding the UPP/FOL/LOW lines in the .aff file will help.

        I had a question about that. The help says that they need not be
        specified when the encoding is UTF-8. I guess we're talking about the
        encoding of the input files, not the 'encoding' option, right? I thought
        this information is available in some Unicode tables.

        Anyway, in Hebrew there is no case at all, so I thought it can be
        omitted. I saw that I had words marked as having wrong capitalisation,
        so I guess that's not true. I'll just add three identical lines.

        BTW, the anchor *hl-SpellCap* is missing under *highlight-groups*.

        Thanks,
        Moshe

        > --
        > 236. You start saving URL's in your digital watch.

        > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
        > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
        > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html ///

        -- Douglas Adams

        Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@...>
        Home: 08-9456841
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2005
          Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

          > > I also make the .spl files available on the ftp site (for those people
          > > who can't or don't want to build .spl files themselves):
          > >
          > > ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/runtime/spell/
          > >
          > > Please have a look at the Hebrew one and provide me with files/patches
          > > for runtime/spell/he/. I'll also generate an iso-8859-2 one, but I
          > > doubt that it's valid (my FreeBSD system doesn't have a iso-8859-2
          > > locale for Hebrew).
          >
          > Did you mean iso-8859-8?

          Yes.

          > I can generate them, but again, we first need to choose the input.

          OK.

          > > Adding the UPP/FOL/LOW lines in the .aff file will help.
          >
          > I had a question about that. The help says that they need not be
          > specified when the encoding is UTF-8. I guess we're talking about the
          > encoding of the input files, not the 'encoding' option, right? I thought
          > this information is available in some Unicode tables.

          That's about the encoding of the output file.

          The idea is that when 'encoding' is "utf-8" then we know what characters
          are word characters, this doesn't depend on the locale. However, I just
          fixed a bug that 'iskeyword' would be used.

          When 'encoding' is iso-8859-8 then Vim would have to is isalpha() to
          find out what characters are word characters. But isalpha() depends on
          the current locale, thus this only works when the system has a Hebrew
          locale for iso-8859-8. Mine doesn't. I can still set 'encoding' to
          iso-8859-8, but isalpha() won't work properly. That's what the
          UPP/FOL/LOW tables are for.

          > Anyway, in Hebrew there is no case at all, so I thought it can be
          > omitted. I saw that I had words marked as having wrong capitalisation,
          > so I guess that's not true. I'll just add three identical lines.

          That should be fine. They will then only be used to recognize word
          characters.

          > BTW, the anchor *hl-SpellCap* is missing under *highlight-groups*.

          I'll add it.

          247. You use www.switchboard.com instead of dialing 411 and 555-12-12
          for directory assistance.