Re: Thesaurus

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 3, 2005
      On Thu 30-Jun-05 1:22pm -0500, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Bill McCarthy wrote:
      >
      >> Not here. Vim 6.3 truncates to 510 characters. Vim
      >> 7.0aa.0097 does not appear to truncate. Here is an
      >> example. Create a file named 'thes', in your current
      >> directory, with this single line:
      >>
      >> adipose,beefy,big-bellied,bloated,blowzy,blubbery,bosomy,brawny,burly,buttery,butyraceous,buxom,chrismal,chrismatory,chubby,chunky,corpulent,distended,dumpy,fat,fattish,fatty,fleshy,full,greasy,gross,heavyset,hefty,hippy,imposing,lardaceous,lardy,lusty,meaty,mucoid,obese,oily,oleaginous,oleic,overweight,paunchy,plump,podgy,portly,potbellied,pudgy,puffy,pursy,rich,roly-poly,rotund,sebaceous,sleek,slick,slippery,smooth,soapy,square,squat,squatty,stalwart,stocky,stout,strapping,suety,swollen,tallowy,thick-bodied,thickset,top-heavy,tubby,unctuous,unguent,unguentary,unguentous,well-fed
      >>
      >> Open Gvim 6.3, and type the following:
      >>
      >> :se noinf isk+=32,- trs=thes<CR>
      >
      > Ehm, adding a space to 'iskeyword'? Not a good idea...

      It is needed with the current version of mobythes.aur,
      as is $, ', - and /.

      I have rebuilt mobythes.aur to have on two words per
      line by transforming: a,b,c,d
      to:
      a,b
      a,c
      a,d

      I have also eliminated all lines containing space,
      dash or '/' (this also eliminated all lines with "'" or
      '$').

      I found that your method of selecting any found word.
      and associating with it any word to the right, to be
      most unsatisfactory.

      I had to add a "b,a" line for every "a,b" (since if a
      associates with b, then, for the same nuance, b
      associates with a).

      This, unfortunately, increases the size of my new
      binary thesaurus to 42.96 million bytes (the original
      file is 24.85 million bytes).

      Although my new file works beautifully, it would by
      half the size (and about twice as fast) if you also
      used the first word on a line (the root word) as a
      valid association (instead of the somewhat illogical
      all words to the right).

      > I hesitate to change how it works, some people might depend on how it's
      > currently working. You are the first to make the remark that you would
      > like to see it work in another way. I don't know how many people like
      > to keep it the way it is...

      Even if there are people out there that love the way it
      currently works, adding the root word as an association
      (which it is and a far better one that an arbitrary on
      on the right) should not break anything.

      BTW, I love the latest additions to spell checking. zG
      satisfies the need to mark words OK temporarily and the
      multiple files with individual access in 'spellfile' is
      wonderfully flexible and useful.

      Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 4, 2005
        Bill McCarthy wrote:

        > I have rebuilt mobythes.aur to have on two words per
        > line by transforming: a,b,c,d
        > to:
        > a,b
        > a,c
        > a,d
        >
        > I have also eliminated all lines containing space,
        > dash or '/' (this also eliminated all lines with "'" or
        > '$').
        >
        > I found that your method of selecting any found word.
        > and associating with it any word to the right, to be
        > most unsatisfactory.
        >
        > I had to add a "b,a" line for every "a,b" (since if a
        > associates with b, then, for the same nuance, b
        > associates with a).
        >
        > This, unfortunately, increases the size of my new
        > binary thesaurus to 42.96 million bytes (the original
        > file is 24.85 million bytes).
        >
        > Although my new file works beautifully, it would by
        > half the size (and about twice as fast) if you also
        > used the first word on a line (the root word) as a
        > valid association (instead of the somewhat illogical
        > all words to the right).
        >
        > > I hesitate to change how it works, some people might depend on how it's
        > > currently working. You are the first to make the remark that you would
        > > like to see it work in another way. I don't know how many people like
        > > to keep it the way it is...
        >
        > Even if there are people out there that love the way it
        > currently works, adding the root word as an association
        > (which it is and a far better one that an arbitrary on
        > on the right) should not break anything.

        You never know how people actually use this feature. You could also use
        it for programming with names of library functions...

        Nevertheless, I still want to find out how many people would run into
        trouble versus how many people are helped when changing this.

        > BTW, I love the latest additions to spell checking. zG
        > satisfies the need to mark words OK temporarily and the
        > multiple files with individual access in 'spellfile' is
        > wonderfully flexible and useful.

        I'm glad you like it. I'm done with adding features to spelling for
        now. Now let people use it for a while to find out any problems.

        221. Your wife melts your keyboard in the oven.