Re: spell problems

  • Moshe Kaminsky
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 26, 2005
      Hi,

      * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [22/06/05 13:46]:
      > Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
      > > I have some more issues: Some of the prefixes are really rare. I saw
      > > there is a way to specify rare words. Is there a way to specify that
      > > a suffix is rare?
      >
      > No, there is no way to mark a prefix as rare. I think it would become a
      > bit complex to support this.

      I looked at the code a bit. It appears to be quite simple to add flags
      for prefixes: The function valid_word_prefix() will return flags for the
      prefix. These flags will be |-ed with the flags variable in find_word().
      The flags for each prefix can be stored in the highest byte of each item
      in sl_pidxs (as far as I could see, it's not used, currently). I didn't
      look at storing this in the file, or specifying this in the .aff file.
      If you think it's reasonable, I can try to implement it.

      Thanks,
      Moshe
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 27, 2005
        Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

        > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [22/06/05 13:46]:
        > > Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
        > > > I have some more issues: Some of the prefixes are really rare. I saw
        > > > there is a way to specify rare words. Is there a way to specify that
        > > > a suffix is rare?
        > >
        > > No, there is no way to mark a prefix as rare. I think it would become a
        > > bit complex to support this.
        >
        > I looked at the code a bit. It appears to be quite simple to add flags
        > for prefixes: The function valid_word_prefix() will return flags for the
        > prefix. These flags will be |-ed with the flags variable in find_word().
        > The flags for each prefix can be stored in the highest byte of each item
        > in sl_pidxs (as far as I could see, it's not used, currently). I didn't
        > look at storing this in the file, or specifying this in the .aff file.
        > If you think it's reasonable, I can try to implement it.

        Storing the flags is the easy part. The big question is how to mark an
        affix as rare in the .aff file. I guess this can't be done with the
        affix letter, it must be on the specific affix. Otherwise it would be
        possible to mark the word rare and you already mentioned that's not so.

        A way that Myspell would ignore is adding another item after the
        condition:

        PFX C 0 åëùáå å[^å] rare

        Then the .spl file format needs to be updated, but that's not very
        difficult.

        Is it worth doing this?

        162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.

      • Moshe Kaminsky
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 27, 2005
          * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [27/06/05 10:57]:

          > Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
          >
          > > * Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> [22/06/05 13:46]:
          > > >
          > > > No, there is no way to mark a prefix as rare. I think it would become a
          > > > bit complex to support this.
          > >
          > > I looked at the code a bit. It appears to be quite simple to add flags
          > > for prefixes: The function valid_word_prefix() will return flags for the
          > > prefix. These flags will be |-ed with the flags variable in find_word().
          > > The flags for each prefix can be stored in the highest byte of each item
          > > in sl_pidxs (as far as I could see, it's not used, currently). I didn't
          > > look at storing this in the file, or specifying this in the .aff file.
          > > If you think it's reasonable, I can try to implement it.
          >
          > Storing the flags is the easy part. The big question is how to mark an
          > affix as rare in the .aff file. I guess this can't be done with the
          > affix letter, it must be on the specific affix. Otherwise it would be
          > possible to mark the word rare and you already mentioned that's not so.

          That is correct. Each prefix letter corresponds to many prefixes. The
          only meaning of the prefix letter is the set of words to which it can be
          applied. To have one letter per prefix would mean about 480 of them.

          > A way that Myspell would ignore is adding another item after the
          > condition:
          >
          > PFX C 0 åëùáå å[^å] rare
          >
          > Then the .spl file format needs to be updated, but that's not very
          > difficult.
          >
          > Is it worth doing this?

          I don't know about other languages, for Hebrew I think it's fairly
          important. Some of these prefixes are not very useful in everyday life,
          but are used, eg, in poetry, or in the bible.

          Thanks,
          Moshe

          > --
          > 162. You go outside and look for a brightness knob to turn down the sun.

          > /// Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
          > \\\ Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org ///
          > \\\ Buy LOTR 3 and help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF.nl/lotr.html ///

          -- Douglas Adams