Re: mail syntax file update (spell errors with vim7).

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
      Gautam Iyer wrote:

      > > > PS: Incase I did not say so already, the spell feature looks *GREAT*.
      > > > Thanks a *TON*. I don't know if you plan on implementing replacement
      > > > suggestions or not, but that part is not as usefull (and can easily
      > > > be implemented by piping to aspell or somehting). Thanks again!
      > >
      > > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
      > > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
      > > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
      > > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
      > >
      > > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
      > > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?
      >
      > According to the aspell website, no other program (myspell, msword etc)
      > comes close to aspell in this. In my experience so far, aspell has been
      > *great* in suggesting replacements (the newest version learns while
      > suggesting). I have no experience with agrep though, so I can't compare.
      > Mabye someone else has used both, and can give a better idea? Again,
      > personally I think it's easy to implement this part using scripts, so I
      > wouldn't mind too much if vim7 had no suggestion mechanism.

      I will have a look at aspell later. However, I expect to run into the
      problem that the aspell code is very difficult to understand. I had
      that problem when looking at the basic spell checking code. The Myspell
      author had the same problem.

      > Since we're talking about spelling again I have one more suggestion:
      > (maybe this came up already, or maybe this is already possible). I would
      > like to mark words in the current buffer to be ignored while spelling.
      > (For instance 'vim' gets highlighted as an error while viewing help
      > files). Any chance of having a 'spellignore' option listing all bad
      > words? Or having a 'spellignorefile' option pointing to a file that
      > lists all bad words (in clear text). Better still having both? (This way
      > a few bad words can be set by a modeline, and the user's list of custom
      > words can be stored in a special file. This aproach helps greatly when
      > typing for instance latex documents. All math geek terms can be stored
      > in a ~/.mathgeek file, and the user can use
      >
      > :au bufread,bufnewfile *.tex setlocal spellignorefile=~/.mathgeek
      >
      > With these options it's easy to write scripts/mappings to add the
      > current word to either spellignore or spellignorefile :). Or you can
      > include them by default.

      In Vim spell terminology you don't ignore words, you add words to a word
      list and tell Vim to use it. The implementation of user/project/system
      word lists and commands to quickly add a word to them is still to be done.

      Something else would be to explicitly mark a word as bad. This is
      useful if a word is in a system dictionary but you want to avoid it
      anyway (e.g, "vim" is in the dictionary but you always want to use
      "Vim"). A suggestion for correction would need to come with it.

      17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
      time this week!!!!!"