Error with syntax highlighting patch

  • Gautam Iyer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
      Bram Wrote:

      > Yes, there is something special in the spell code. Could use this for
      > the syntax highlighting too. Try this patch and look out for things
      > that go wrong:

      Ok so I noticed one thing wrong:

      :hi search ctermfg=white ctermbg=darkcyan
      /.

      Now all search highlighted text apears with a darkcyan background and a
      TRANSPARENT (i.e. syntax color) foreground. I think it might be more
      usefull to have syntax color ONLY if ctermfg=NONE. Otherwise, use the
      correct ctermfg :)

      Will report any other errors if I see them :)

      Gautam

      PS: I haven't checked anything on the GUI yet.

      --
      There are only three types of computer users:
      1. Those that use Linux.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2005
        Ok, so I *finally* loaded the gui version of vim and found the following
        bugs with syntax highlighting:

        1. The guisp only seems to work with gui=undercurl and not with
        gui=underline (the undercurl gives a nice MS Word look ... but
        since I hate MS, I tried to repalce it with underline naturally
        and found the above error).

        2. Load up the GUI and type

        hi visual guifg=none guibg=#0000af

        Now load a file with spell errors (like syntx.txt from the help).
        In visual mode some extra punctuation gets marked as a spell
        error! (For instance line 3960 -- normally only the word cterm is
        marked as a spell error. HOwever in visual mode cterm AND the
        following quote, but not the preceding quote, is marked as a
        spell error)

        3. (unrelated) Ctrl-W works differently in gvim7 command line. In a
        buffer in insert mode, ctrl-w deletes a word. But in gvim in the
        command line ctrl-W deletes a blank delimited word. (I know in
        vim6.3.x ctrl-W deletes a word in command line, but have not yet
        compiled the GUI on this computer so don't know what the GUI
        does).

        I'm using vim7 from CVS from yesterday with the two syntax patches you
        sent out earlyer Bram. Will let you know if I see any other errors :)

        GI

        --
        Error: Keyboard not attached. Press F1 to continue.
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
          Gautam Iyer wrote:

          > Ok, so I *finally* loaded the gui version of vim and found the following
          > bugs with syntax highlighting:
          >
          > 1. The guisp only seems to work with gui=undercurl and not with
          > gui=underline (the undercurl gives a nice MS Word look ... but
          > since I hate MS, I tried to repalce it with underline naturally
          > and found the above error).

          That's right, underline didn't change, it uses the guifg color. Perhaps
          we can use another attribute for underlining with the guisp color.
          Can't think of a good name right now.

          > 2. Load up the GUI and type
          >
          > hi visual guifg=none guibg=#0000af
          >
          > Now load a file with spell errors (like syntx.txt from the help).
          > In visual mode some extra punctuation gets marked as a spell
          > error! (For instance line 3960 -- normally only the word cterm is
          > marked as a spell error. HOwever in visual mode cterm AND the
          > following quote, but not the preceding quote, is marked as a
          > spell error)

          I see the problem. Goes in the todo list.

          > 3. (unrelated) Ctrl-W works differently in gvim7 command line. In a
          > buffer in insert mode, ctrl-w deletes a word. But in gvim in the
          > command line ctrl-W deletes a blank delimited word. (I know in
          > vim6.3.x ctrl-W deletes a word in command line, but have not yet
          > compiled the GUI on this computer so don't know what the GUI
          > does).

          I don't think this changed from previous versions. It's very well
          possible that CTRL-W works different on the command line compared to
          Insert mode.

          18. When leaving the zoo, start running towards the parking lot,
          yelling "run for your lives, they're loose!!"

        • GI
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
            On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:15:32PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

            > > Ok, so I *finally* loaded the gui version of vim and found the following
            > > bugs with syntax highlighting:
            > >
            > > 1. The guisp only seems to work with gui=undercurl and not with
            > > gui=underline (the undercurl gives a nice MS Word look ... but
            > > since I hate MS, I tried to repalce it with underline naturally
            > > and found the above error).
            >
            > That's right, underline didn't change, it uses the guifg color.
            > Perhaps we can use another attribute for underlining with the guisp
            > color. Can't think of a good name right now.

            Why not use guisp? I don't think anyone will want to use BOTH underline
            and undercurl will they? Anyway, if you do plan on using a different
            name, might I suggest 'guiuc' (for undercurl) and 'guiul' for underline
            :)

            Gautam

            --
            'Vinylocity' -- The strange atmospheric force that makes the shower
            curtain blow towards you while trying to shower.
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
              Gautam Iyer wrote:

              > On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:15:32PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >
              > > > Ok, so I *finally* loaded the gui version of vim and found the following
              > > > bugs with syntax highlighting:
              > > >
              > > > 1. The guisp only seems to work with gui=undercurl and not with
              > > > gui=underline (the undercurl gives a nice MS Word look ... but
              > > > since I hate MS, I tried to repalce it with underline naturally
              > > > and found the above error).
              > >
              > > That's right, underline didn't change, it uses the guifg color.
              > > Perhaps we can use another attribute for underlining with the guisp
              > > color. Can't think of a good name right now.
              >
              > Why not use guisp? I don't think anyone will want to use BOTH underline
              > and undercurl will they?

              I think there are people who do. You can use underline for syntax
              highlighting. Then undercurl is still available for badly spelled
              words on top of that. If you don't want to use undercurl, then perhaps
              overwriting the underline in a different color would be OK.

              If we would use guisp for underline then there would at least be the
              fallback that when it's not set guifg must be used, otherwise it's not
              backward compatible. And then when there is a spell error an existing
              underline would suddenly change color when the undercurl appears.

              > Anyway, if you do plan on using a different name, might I suggest
              > 'guiuc' (for undercurl) and 'guiul' for underline :)

              I was thinking of another name for "underline" that does use the guisp
              color. I don't really want to add more color arguments, it's a bit
              bulky in the code.

              --
              The startling truth finally became apparent, and it was this: Numbers
              written on restaurant checks within the confines of restaurants do not follow

            • GI
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 3, 2005
                On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 12:15:32PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

                > > (unrelated) Ctrl-W works differently in gvim7 command line. In a
                > > buffer in insert mode, ctrl-w deletes a word. But in gvim in the
                > > command line ctrl-W deletes a blank delimited word. (I know in
                > > vim6.3.x ctrl-W deletes a word in command line, but have not yet
                > > compiled the GUI on this computer so don't know what the GUI does).
                >
                > I don't think this changed from previous versions. It's very well
                > possible that CTRL-W works different on the command line compared to
                > Insert mode.

                Ok. I messed up on this one. However I now have another problem -- I
                find that pressing Ctrl-W in the command line deletes a word as defined
                by iskeyword from the current buffer. (Everytime I tried in gvim7, I was
                viewing a help file, hence blank delmited words got deleted on pressing
                Ctrl-W).

                I'm wondering if the above is what was intended or not. To me it seems
                more intuitive if Ctrl-W worked the same always (as opposed to deleting
                too much when viewing a help file). But ofcourse you and others might
                feel differently ... :)

                GI

                --
                Alternative definitions of terms from Math Lectures:
                TRIVIAL: If I have to show you how to do this, you're in the wrong