Re: mail syntax file update (spell errors with vim7).

  • GI
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:20:27PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      Thanks for the patches Bram. They seem to work fine so far :). I will
      test it some more later today.

      > > PS: Incase I did not say so already, the spell feature looks *GREAT*.
      > > Thanks a *TON*. I don't know if you plan on implementing replacement
      > > suggestions or not, but that part is not as usefull (and can easily
      > > be implemented by piping to aspell or somehting). Thanks again!
      >
      > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
      > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
      > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
      > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
      >
      > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
      > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?

      According to the aspell website, no other program (myspell, msword etc)
      comes close to aspell in this. In my experience so far, aspell has been
      *great* in suggesting replacements (the newest version learns while
      suggesting). I have no experience with agrep though, so I can't compare.
      Mabye someone else has used both, and can give a better idea? Again,
      personally I think it's easy to implement this part using scripts, so I
      wouldn't mind too much if vim7 had no suggestion mechanism.

      Since we're talking about spelling again I have one more suggestion:
      (maybe this came up already, or maybe this is already possible). I would
      like to mark words in the current buffer to be ignored while spelling.
      (For instance 'vim' gets highlighted as an error while viewing help
      files). Any chance of having a 'spellignore' option listing all bad
      words? Or having a 'spellignorefile' option pointing to a file that
      lists all bad words (in clear text). Better still having both? (This way
      a few bad words can be set by a modeline, and the user's list of custom
      words can be stored in a special file. This aproach helps greatly when
      typing for instance latex documents. All math geek terms can be stored
      in a ~/.mathgeek file, and the user can use

      :au bufread,bufnewfile *.tex setlocal spellignorefile=~/.mathgeek

      With these options it's easy to write scripts/mappings to add the
      current word to either spellignore or spellignorefile :). Or you can
      include them by default.

      Just a thought :)

      Gautam

      --
      A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
        Gautam Iyer wrote:

        > > > PS: Incase I did not say so already, the spell feature looks *GREAT*.
        > > > Thanks a *TON*. I don't know if you plan on implementing replacement
        > > > suggestions or not, but that part is not as usefull (and can easily
        > > > be implemented by piping to aspell or somehting). Thanks again!
        > >
        > > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
        > > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
        > > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
        > > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
        > >
        > > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
        > > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?
        >
        > According to the aspell website, no other program (myspell, msword etc)
        > comes close to aspell in this. In my experience so far, aspell has been
        > *great* in suggesting replacements (the newest version learns while
        > suggesting). I have no experience with agrep though, so I can't compare.
        > Mabye someone else has used both, and can give a better idea? Again,
        > personally I think it's easy to implement this part using scripts, so I
        > wouldn't mind too much if vim7 had no suggestion mechanism.

        I will have a look at aspell later. However, I expect to run into the
        problem that the aspell code is very difficult to understand. I had
        that problem when looking at the basic spell checking code. The Myspell
        author had the same problem.

        > Since we're talking about spelling again I have one more suggestion:
        > (maybe this came up already, or maybe this is already possible). I would
        > like to mark words in the current buffer to be ignored while spelling.
        > (For instance 'vim' gets highlighted as an error while viewing help
        > files). Any chance of having a 'spellignore' option listing all bad
        > words? Or having a 'spellignorefile' option pointing to a file that
        > lists all bad words (in clear text). Better still having both? (This way
        > a few bad words can be set by a modeline, and the user's list of custom
        > words can be stored in a special file. This aproach helps greatly when
        > typing for instance latex documents. All math geek terms can be stored
        > in a ~/.mathgeek file, and the user can use
        >
        > :au bufread,bufnewfile *.tex setlocal spellignorefile=~/.mathgeek
        >
        > With these options it's easy to write scripts/mappings to add the
        > current word to either spellignore or spellignorefile :). Or you can
        > include them by default.

        In Vim spell terminology you don't ignore words, you add words to a word
        list and tell Vim to use it. The implementation of user/project/system
        word lists and commands to quickly add a word to them is still to be done.

        Something else would be to explicitly mark a word as bad. This is
        useful if a word is in a system dictionary but you want to avoid it
        anyway (e.g, "vim" is in the dictionary but you always want to use
        "Vim"). A suggestion for correction would need to come with it.

        17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
        time this week!!!!!"