Re: mail syntax file update (spell errors with vim7).

  • drchip@campbellfamily.biz
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
      Quoting Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...>:

      > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
      > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
      > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
      > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
      >
      > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
      > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?

      May I humbly repeat my suggestion about agrep -- "approximate grep".
      Such a feature could come in handy in regular use of vim. Ie. looking
      for everything that is approximately some word. Engspchk uses agrep
      as an external tool (naturally) to search the same word database it uses
      for syntax-highlighting based spellchecking.

      Regards,
      Chip Campbell
    • GI
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2005
        On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 12:20:27PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        Thanks for the patches Bram. They seem to work fine so far :). I will
        test it some more later today.

        > > PS: Incase I did not say so already, the spell feature looks *GREAT*.
        > > Thanks a *TON*. I don't know if you plan on implementing replacement
        > > suggestions or not, but that part is not as usefull (and can easily
        > > be implemented by piping to aspell or somehting). Thanks again!
        >
        > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
        > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
        > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
        > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
        >
        > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
        > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?

        According to the aspell website, no other program (myspell, msword etc)
        comes close to aspell in this. In my experience so far, aspell has been
        *great* in suggesting replacements (the newest version learns while
        suggesting). I have no experience with agrep though, so I can't compare.
        Mabye someone else has used both, and can give a better idea? Again,
        personally I think it's easy to implement this part using scripts, so I
        wouldn't mind too much if vim7 had no suggestion mechanism.

        Since we're talking about spelling again I have one more suggestion:
        (maybe this came up already, or maybe this is already possible). I would
        like to mark words in the current buffer to be ignored while spelling.
        (For instance 'vim' gets highlighted as an error while viewing help
        files). Any chance of having a 'spellignore' option listing all bad
        words? Or having a 'spellignorefile' option pointing to a file that
        lists all bad words (in clear text). Better still having both? (This way
        a few bad words can be set by a modeline, and the user's list of custom
        words can be stored in a special file. This aproach helps greatly when
        typing for instance latex documents. All math geek terms can be stored
        in a ~/.mathgeek file, and the user can use

        :au bufread,bufnewfile *.tex setlocal spellignorefile=~/.mathgeek

        With these options it's easy to write scripts/mappings to add the
        current word to either spellignore or spellignorefile :). Or you can
        include them by default.

        Just a thought :)

        Gautam

        --
        A man's home is his castle, in a manor of speaking.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
          Gautam Iyer wrote:

          > > > PS: Incase I did not say so already, the spell feature looks *GREAT*.
          > > > Thanks a *TON*. I don't know if you plan on implementing replacement
          > > > suggestions or not, but that part is not as usefull (and can easily
          > > > be implemented by piping to aspell or somehting). Thanks again!
          > >
          > > I haven't looked into making suggestions yet. If the code is not too
          > > complicated I could include it, otherwise I'll leave it to a library.
          > > Disadvantage of the last is that the Vim word lists may differ from what
          > > the library uses, thus you might get conflicting suggestions.
          > >
          > > What program gives the best suggestions, aspell, myspell
          > > (OpenOffice/Mozilla), others?
          >
          > According to the aspell website, no other program (myspell, msword etc)
          > comes close to aspell in this. In my experience so far, aspell has been
          > *great* in suggesting replacements (the newest version learns while
          > suggesting). I have no experience with agrep though, so I can't compare.
          > Mabye someone else has used both, and can give a better idea? Again,
          > personally I think it's easy to implement this part using scripts, so I
          > wouldn't mind too much if vim7 had no suggestion mechanism.

          I will have a look at aspell later. However, I expect to run into the
          problem that the aspell code is very difficult to understand. I had
          that problem when looking at the basic spell checking code. The Myspell
          author had the same problem.

          > Since we're talking about spelling again I have one more suggestion:
          > (maybe this came up already, or maybe this is already possible). I would
          > like to mark words in the current buffer to be ignored while spelling.
          > (For instance 'vim' gets highlighted as an error while viewing help
          > files). Any chance of having a 'spellignore' option listing all bad
          > words? Or having a 'spellignorefile' option pointing to a file that
          > lists all bad words (in clear text). Better still having both? (This way
          > a few bad words can be set by a modeline, and the user's list of custom
          > words can be stored in a special file. This aproach helps greatly when
          > typing for instance latex documents. All math geek terms can be stored
          > in a ~/.mathgeek file, and the user can use
          >
          > :au bufread,bufnewfile *.tex setlocal spellignorefile=~/.mathgeek
          >
          > With these options it's easy to write scripts/mappings to add the
          > current word to either spellignore or spellignorefile :). Or you can
          > include them by default.

          In Vim spell terminology you don't ignore words, you add words to a word
          list and tell Vim to use it. The implementation of user/project/system
          word lists and commands to quickly add a word to them is still to be done.

          Something else would be to explicitly mark a word as bad. This is
          useful if a word is in a system dictionary but you want to avoid it
          anyway (e.g, "vim" is in the dictionary but you always want to use
          "Vim"). A suggestion for correction would need to come with it.

          17. When the money comes out the ATM, scream "I won!, I won! 3rd
          time this week!!!!!"