vim7: externals which can be made static (long)

  • Walter Briscoe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      I have applied PC-lint to vim7.
      It identified many identifiers with external linkage which can have
      internal linkage instead. (extern foo -> static foo) I used grep
      identifier *.c to check diagnoses and did not apply it to 5 including:
      Info 765: external 'tgoto(char *, int, int)' (line 2423, file term.c) could be made static

      I believe the following changes are safe. I have compressed them because
      the 10k original seems large. 5k is not great but I can do no better.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        Walter Briscoe wrote:

        > I have applied PC-lint to vim7.
        > It identified many identifiers with external linkage which can have
        > internal linkage instead. (extern foo -> static foo) I used grep
        > identifier *.c to check diagnoses and did not apply it to 5 including:
        > Info 765: external 'tgoto(char *, int, int)' (line 2423, file term.c)
        > could be made static

        Yes, it can be made static.

        > I believe the following changes are safe. I have compressed them because
        > the 10k original seems large. 5k is not great but I can do no better.

        Thanks. Looks OK, I'll include it.

        --
        Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the
        Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

      • Walter Briscoe
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
          In message <200506011632.j51GWMrn009737@...> of Wed, 1 Jun
          2005 18:32:22 in , Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> writes

          >Walter Briscoe wrote:
          >
          >> I have applied PC-lint to vim7.
          >> It identified many identifiers with external linkage which can have
          >> internal linkage instead. (extern foo -> static foo) I used grep
          >> identifier *.c to check diagnoses and did not apply it to 5 including:
          >> Info 765: external 'tgoto(char *, int, int)' (line 2423, file term.c)
          >> could be made static
          >
          >Yes, it can be made static.
          >
          >> I believe the following changes are safe. I have compressed them because
          >> the 10k original seems large. 5k is not great but I can do no better.
          >
          >Thanks. Looks OK, I'll include it.

          I have the change. I had misunderstood "Yes, it can be made static".
          You may like to consider the following:
          Info 765: external 'mch_expandpath(struct growarray *, unsigned char *,
          int)' (line 8334, file misc1.c) could be made static
          Info 765: external 'message_window' (line 2457, file os_mswin.c) could
          be made static
          Info 765: external 'current_font_height' (line 3130, file os_mswin.c)
          could be made static
          Info 765: external 'current_funccal' (line 748, file eval.c) could be
          made static

          I rejected all of them. I also rejected tgoto. It seems helpful to push
          them at you in case I was too conservative.
          --
          Walter Briscoe