Re: Tiger rendering problems

  • Jussi Hagman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2005
      On 30.5.2005, at 3:10, Kelly Norton wrote:

      > Hi Folks,
      >
      > After anywhere from 15-30 minutes of working, a portion of one of
      > my buffers suddenly gets an additional offset of about 2 characters.

      This is something I have not seen myself, I don't use vim in a
      similar way either, I usually have just one window or window splitted
      just horizontally.

      I'm sorry not to be able to help with this problem. I'll shamelessly
      use this opportunity to talk a bit about my own agenda, making gvim
      better on OS X, which I see as the top priority, I'm not sure if this
      view is widely shared as many seem to use vim in the terminal too.
      Hopefully this bug will be squashed at the same time the rendering is
      reworked.

      There are some other rendering bugs with Tiger that I've seen myself
      (I've reported those to macvim.org) or have heard from friends. I've
      heard that on a G3 the rendering is _very_ slow under Tiger. I've
      noticed some slowness too on my G4 (especially with vim7, but it's
      not totally OK with vim6 either).

      I'd like to hear if someone is working on those bugs if I don't hear
      anything I'm probably going to refactor the mac code to OS X and
      Classic portions to clear things up and try to fix the speed problems
      under Tiger. This may or may not mean going away from QuickDraw.

      A forum for the development would be very nice. macvim.org is ok for
      users, but mac-oriented vim developers seem not to talk to each other
      (or maybe I've not found the place). What would be needed is a bug
      database, list of wanted features, features that are under work and
      some kind of a roadmap to plan the development.

      I'd like to hear from the people that develop mac port of vim or just
      use gvim. What features do you want, what are the biggest bugs at the
      moment? What is the direction gvim should be taken? What APIs should
      be used? Are all features of current gvim still needed (like Code
      Warrior support).

      If you have opinions on one of more of the questions above please
      mail me.

      Greetings,
      Jussi

      P.S. I crossposted this also to vim-dev, sorry for any inconvenience.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2005
        Jussi Hagman wrote:

        > I'm sorry not to be able to help with this problem. I'll shamelessly
        > use this opportunity to talk a bit about my own agenda, making gvim
        > better on OS X, which I see as the top priority, I'm not sure if this
        > view is widely shared as many seem to use vim in the terminal too.
        > Hopefully this bug will be squashed at the same time the rendering is
        > reworked.

        Making Vim work better on Mac OS X is often asked for. Unfortunately,
        there appear to be few people that know how to do GUI programming for
        that platform. I hardly know anything about it myself (I donn't have
        time to learn a dozen different GUI libraries...).

        > A forum for the development would be very nice. macvim.org is ok for
        > users, but mac-oriented vim developers seem not to talk to each other
        > (or maybe I've not found the place). What would be needed is a bug
        > database, list of wanted features, features that are under work and
        > some kind of a roadmap to plan the development.

        The mac-vim list is low on trafic, I don't see a reason to split it up.

        2. You kiss your girlfriend's home page.