baloonexpr in a send box?

  • Wind
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16 2:49 AM
      Hello vim-dev,
      Just trying to write a plugin to use ruby debugger from the Vim, and
      found out that baloonexpr is evaluated in the sendbox that prevent
      me to use ruby there.
      The question is Why?
      'baloonexpr' was intended to be use with debuggers, but how do I
      can obtain a value of a certain simbol in the code if I can not
      get outside Vim?

      Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 3 , May 16 3:14 AM
        Wind wrote:
        > Hello vim-dev,
        > Just trying to write a plugin to use ruby debugger from the Vim, and
        > found out that baloonexpr is evaluated in the sendbox that prevent
        > me to use ruby there.
        > The question is Why?
        > 'baloonexpr' was intended to be use with debuggers, but how do I
        > can obtain a value of a certain simbol in the code if I can not
        > get outside Vim?

        - 'balloonexpr' was intended to evaluate something to be displayed in a
        tooltip when the mouse is over a text character
        - The evaluation must not have side effects: therefore it is logical to
        evaluate it in the "sandbox".
        - If the result is not empty, no message is sent to an external debugger.

        There are other ways to obtain the value of a symbol inside Vim. For
        instance, in Vim debug mode (using the internal debugger, see :help
        debug-mode) you can do ":echo foobar" when Vim is halted at a debug prompt.

        Debug mode is usually enabled even in non-debug builds; you can check it
        with

        :echo exists(":debug")

        If the answer is 2, debug mode is enabled in your version of Vim

      • Wind
        Message 3 of 3 , May 16 3:58 AM
          Hello Tony,

          I meant value of ruby simbol. So I need to send a message for the
          debugger and obtain a value(the debugger is interfaced via ruby).
          I can do write a command to do this but I think some users will
          wish to see it in the balloon message. I can live without it,
          but it seems to me strange

          Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...