VIM in german with BRIEF mapping

  • Andreas Ziemer
    Message 1 of 1 , May 13, 2005
      Hi!

      am I the only GERMAN in the community who uses a BRIEF keymapping under
      WINDOWS? In version 6.3 from June 2004 (should be the latest) there is a
      routine in misc2.c called extract_modifiers(), that merges ALT-keys in
      mappings (using 2 bytes) into a 1-byte form by OR'ing 0x80 to the
      base-value and stripping the leading modifier byte.

      This leads to
      1) a very unreadable form in the "map!" command output (ALT-keys are
      shown as ASCII, not as <M-keyletter>)
      and
      2) in BRIEF ALT-D is mapped to delete a line, but after transformation
      in extract_modfiers(), ALT-D now has the same keyvalue as the german 'รค'
      letter (a-umlaut) !!...

      I commented the function out (lines 2341-2353 in misc2.c), and both
      flaws were vanished, I can write in german now and the map looks good...
      - and oh, yes, VIM still works fine ;-)

      btw. I expanded the BRIEF mapping a bit - if anyone is interested, feel
      free to ask

      Andy