gfx trouble on solaris

  • Niki Waibel
    Message 1 of 12 , May 12 4:37 AM
      i have a very specific problem using gvim on solaris.

      problem occurs on solaris, but only when working on a creator3d
      gfx card. this might be gtk2 related, but i've seen this *only*
      on gvim. other gtk2 prgs (pan, gqview, gimp) are ok on the same
      hardware.

      the text is drawn even outside of the gvim window!
      i took a screenshot:
      http://swcell.sourceforge.net/x.png
      as you can see, also the colors are wrong. i guess it has
      sthg to do with the antialiasing.

      the effect is very bad if i use
      set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 10

      i've tried to upgrade everything:
      vim/6.3.071
      gtk/2.6.7
      atk/1.10.1
      pango/1.8.1
      glib/2.6.4
      gettext/0.14.4
      ncurses/5.4-20050212
      libiconv/1.9.2
      libxft/2.1.7
      freetype/2.1.9
      zlib/1.2.2
      fontconfig/2.3.2
      libxfixes/2.0.1
      libxcursor/1.1.2
      libxrender/0.8.4
      expat/1.95.8
      also the solaris9 system is uptodate via patchpro and todays
      patches.

      pls note that the text of the menues is 100% fine.
      note also that it makes no difference if you start gvim
      locally or remotely (ssh).
      --
      niki w. waibel - system administrator @ newlogic technologies ag
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 12 , May 12 5:22 AM
        Niki Waibel wrote:
        > i have a very specific problem using gvim on solaris.
        >
        > problem occurs on solaris, but only when working on a creator3d
        > gfx card. this might be gtk2 related, but i've seen this *only*
        > on gvim. other gtk2 prgs (pan, gqview, gimp) are ok on the same
        > hardware.
        >
        > the text is drawn even outside of the gvim window!
        > i took a screenshot:
        > http://swcell.sourceforge.net/x.png
        > as you can see, also the colors are wrong. i guess it has
        > sthg to do with the antialiasing.
        >
        > the effect is very bad if i use
        > set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 10

        Your Lucida font (the 'guifont') seems unusually narrow for its height.
        Compare with http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimintro.jpg
        -- I notice the bizarre colours too but have no explanation for them,
        unless maybe something wrong in the horizontal-sweep timings for the
        screen; but it would have to be specific to the lucidatypewriter font.

        Is there another font which works OK in gvim? "Courier", maybe, or
        "7x13"? Or anything else?

      • Niki Waibel
        Message 3 of 12 , May 12 9:07 AM
          >> problem occurs on solaris, but only when working on a creator3d
          >> gfx card. this might be gtk2 related, but i've seen this *only*
          >> on gvim. other gtk2 prgs (pan, gqview, gimp) are ok on the same
          >> hardware.
          >>
          >> the text is drawn even outside of the gvim window!
          >> i took a screenshot:
          >> http://swcell.sourceforge.net/x.png
          >> as you can see, also the colors are wrong. i guess it has
          >> sthg to do with the antialiasing.
          >>
          >> the effect is very bad if i use
          >> set guifont=LucidaTypewriter\ 10
          >
          > Your Lucida font (the 'guifont') seems unusually narrow for its height.
          > Compare with http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/vimintro.jpg
          > -- I notice the bizarre colours too but have no explanation for them,
          > unless maybe something wrong in the horizontal-sweep timings for the
          > screen;

          :) nothing wrong with the monitor settings.

          > but it would have to be specific to the lucidatypewriter font.

          no, the problems occor with all fonts.

          pls notice also the artifacts OUTSIDE the gvim
          window (http://swcell.sourceforge.net/x.png)!!!

          > Is there another font which works OK in gvim?
          > "Courier", maybe, or
          > "7x13"? Or anything else?

          no. all of them produce strange effects.
          but only on solaris when using a creator3d gfx card.
          using an expert3d lite everyting is fine.

          niki
        • Zdenek Sekera
          Message 4 of 12 , May 12 9:18 AM

            > > Is there another font which works OK in gvim?
            > > "Courier", maybe, or
            > > "7x13"? Or anything else?
            >
            > no. all of them produce strange effects.
            > but only on solaris when using a creator3d gfx card.
            > using an expert3d lite everyting is fine.

            Don't know in your particular case, I'd guess it's
            the gfx card driver. I had a quite similar problem with
            Radeon running *one* game of my son on a *particular*
            (24'') display. Other displays had no problem.
            Since radeon support couldn't help, I returned the
            card, bought nvidia, and have no problem.
            Just my .02.

            ---Zdenek
          • Alejandro López-Valencia
            Message 5 of 12 , May 12 1:27 PM
              On 5/12/05, Zdenek Sekera <Zdenek.Sekera@...> wrote:

              > Don't know in your particular case, I'd guess it's
              > the gfx card driver. I had a quite similar problem with
              > Radeon running *one* game of my son on a *particular*
              > (24'') display. Other displays had no problem.
              > Since radeon support couldn't help, I returned the
              > card, bought nvidia, and have no problem.
              > Just my .02.
              >
              > ---Zdenek

              Zadnek,

              I doubt that's an option. The Creator3D cards are standard in SPARC
              based Sun hardware, that's not your run-of-the-mill Frankenstein
              I32/I64 Linux/x86 BSD box. (Niki, please correct me if I'm wrong, I
              haven't used Sun hardware in a while and memory always goes first :-).

              Niki,

              I think your problem is the version of Gnome. Rather than a piecemeal
              update, try upgrading to the latest x.org and gnome 2.10 if they are
              available from Sunsolve or from Sunfreeware and see if that solves
              your problem. As well I notice in the screenshot that you are not
              using GDM but rather the Motif window manager (and I thought CDE was
              dead ;-). Have you considered compiling gVim with Motif support and
              see if it presents the same problems?

              Alejo
              --
              Alejandro López-Valencia
            • Niki Waibel
              Message 6 of 12 , May 17 6:56 AM
                On 12-May-2005 Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
                > On 5/12/05, Zdenek Sekera <Zdenek.Sekera@...> wrote:
                [--snip--]
                >> Since radeon support couldn't help, I returned the
                >> card, bought nvidia, and have no problem.
                >> Just my .02.
                >>
                >> ---Zdenek
                >>

                > Zadnek,
                >
                > I doubt that's an option. The Creator3D cards are standard in SPARC
                > based Sun hardware, that's not your run-of-the-mill Frankenstein
                > I32/I64 Linux/x86 BSD box. (Niki, please correct me if I'm wrong, I
                > haven't used Sun hardware in a while and memory always goes first :-).

                you are 100% right. the creator3d gfx cards were the best for
                the ultra10 machines at that time. the hardware is old, so a
                new card is no option. replacing the whole machine would be
                an option. but i'd like to get it working.

                > I think your problem is the version of Gnome. Rather than a piecemeal
                > update, try upgrading to the latest x.org and gnome 2.10

                x.org:
                a) the X-server itself is Xsun from sun. no way to change that.
                it has the latest patches.
                b) all additional X-related libs are updated as well (libxfixes, libxcursor,
                libxrender, ...).
                gnome:
                as you can see in my prev post all gnome libs are uptodate as well.
                (gnome 2.10.1+)

                > if they are
                > available from Sunsolve or from Sunfreeware and see if that solves
                > your problem.

                all compiled by myself.

                > As well I notice in the screenshot that you are not
                > using GDM but rather the Motif window manager (and I thought CDE was
                > dead ;-).

                :) not yet.

                > Have you considered compiling gVim with Motif support and
                > see if it presents the same problems?

                well people like the antialiased fonts, and i've compiled several
                gtk2 tools. no problems on any machines in our (very) mixed environment.
                so gvim should be running fine also on this old hw.

                i'd just like to find out where the problem comes from.

                which part of gvim draws the characters into the window?

                niki
              • A. J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 12 , May 17 7:48 AM
                  Niki Waibel wrote:
                  [...]
                  > i'd just like to find out where the problem comes from.
                  >
                  > which part of gvim draws the characters into the window?
                  >
                  > niki

                  see
                  :view src/README.txt
                  :help development

                  Look for source files with "gui" in the name:
                  $ ls src/gui*

                  There are many but you'll want gui.c, gui.h and those for your
                  particular platform (I guess gui_x11.c and gui_gtk*).

                • Niki Waibel
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 17 9:20 AM
                    On 17-May-2005 Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
                    > As an experiment, can you disable your font anti-aliasing altogether, and
                    > see if Vim exhibits the same / similar problem?
                    >
                    > Curiously,
                    > --Eljay

                    thanks a lot for this tip, eljay!

                    unfort, see the screenshot on
                    http://swcell.sourceforge.net/x3.png
                    -> no change.

                    also focus the artifacts on the other parts of the
                    screen (ie in the audio-control window). i am
                    suprized that all this appears in the screenshot.
                    (i had strange gfx card problems (defective
                    hardware) with similar effects before. i was
                    not able to take a screenshot of that effects).

                    i've switched off antialiasing this way:
                    ===
                    nwaibel@blade100-2:~ $ cat .fonts.conf
                    <?xml version="1.0"?>
                    <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
                    <fontconfig>
                    <match target="font">
                    <test compare="more" name="pixelsize" qual="any">
                    <double>0</double>
                    </test>
                    <test compare="less" name="pixelsize" qual="any">
                    <double>36</double>
                    </test>
                    <edit mode="assign" name="antialias">
                    <bool>false</bool>
                    </edit>
                    </match>
                    </fontconfig>
                    nwaibel@blade100-2:~ $
                    ===

                    i bet it is a gtk2, fontconfig or xft2 problem.

                    anyone out there that could write a tiny litte test
                    prg which draws 1 character into a testwindow, similar
                    to the gvim application?

                    niki
                  • Niki Waibel
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 17 9:56 AM
                      On 17-May-2005 Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
                      > Hi Niki,
                      >
                      > I have a Sun SPARC Ultra V.

                      ?
                      i bet it is an Sparc Ultra IV. sun does not yet sell the
                      ultrasparc v cpus, afaik. but maybe you have a test machine
                      from them...

                      > I'm not seeing the graphic artifacts that you are having*,
                      > but I don't have the exact same
                      > configuration.
                      >
                      > Hmmm. Annoying!

                      indeed. it appears only on hardware with the creator3d gfx card.

                      > I'm out of suggestions at the moment. But it is a curious problem,
                      > since it appears that no other application are exhibiting
                      > similarly suspect behavior.

                      yes, that is very strange. also that only the gvim TEXT-screen is
                      affected. the menus are fine.

                      > Good luck,
                      > --Eljay
                      >
                      > * Besides, I usually talk to the Ultra V box via Telnet on my laptop, not through the GUI.
                      > Typically, I keep the Ultra V headless. Likewise with my Linux boxes. Not a solution
                      > for your situation. :-)

                      starting gvim remotely on that machine (ultra10/creator3d) and displaying it
                      on the blade100/expert3dlite is no problem at all. it is related to the gfx card.

                      niki
                    • Eljay Love-Jensen
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 17 10:23 AM
                        Hi Niki,

                        >i bet it is an Sparc Ultra IV

                        No, it's a SPARC Ultra V. Other developers on my team have Ultra V boxes, and a few have Ultra X.

                        Those are all (relatively speaking) old boxes. A far cry from cutting edge. :-)

                        Sincerely,
                        --Eljay

                        "Any box is a good box as long as it does what you need it to do, and it does it well."
                      • Ciaran McCreesh
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 17 10:26 AM
                          On Tue, 17 May 2005 12:23:20 -0500 Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@...>
                          wrote:
                          | >i bet it is an Sparc Ultra IV
                          |
                          | No, it's a SPARC Ultra V. Other developers on my team have Ultra V
                          | boxes, and a few have Ultra X.

                          It might be an Ultra 5. It's not an Ultra V.

                          --
                          Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
                          Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
                          Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
                        • Niki Waibel
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 17 12:03 PM
                            On 17-May-2005 Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
                            > Hi Niki,
                            >
                            >>i bet it is an Sparc Ultra IV
                            >
                            > No, it's a SPARC Ultra V. Other developers on my team have Ultra V boxes, and a few have Ultra X.
                            >
                            > Those are all (relatively speaking) old boxes. A far cry from cutting edge. :-)

                            okay, you are talking about an ultra5 box with UltraSparcIIi cpus (usually 333Mhz or
                            400MHz). ultra10 is the same mainboard as the ultra5, but you can put a creator3d gfx
                            card into the box (great hardware 6 years ago).

                            ultra5 has a pgx24 card onboard, we usually run them with pgx32 in the pci slot.
                            -> way too slow now for 24bit gfx (ok for 8bit gfx). the newer pgx64 is not much
                            better (same speed) then the pgx32 (24bit), but it has some more mem on the board.

                            the ultra10 usually came with a creator3d card (like the ultra60).

                            niki