Re: Default setting for bg

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      Noel Henson wrote:
      > What sets the default setting for bg? This is the ":set bg" bg. I see that
      > it is always set to 'light' on my varios systems in console and GUI with
      > both black and white backgrounds.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Noel

      The 'bg' settings depends on the default colours (or on what Vim thinks
      they are).

      In gvim, the default colours (for groups which have no colours mentioned
      in their ":highlight" statements) are guibg=white guifg=black, and the
      default for the 'bg' option is "light".

      In console Vim, the default colours are whatever the shell was using
      when it called Vim, which is often lightgrey on black but can be
      anything. In CMD.EXE, I use bright cyan on blue, meaning the default is
      ctermbg=darkblue ctermfg=lightcyan, and my 'bg' setting is still "dark".
      If you are using the "black on pale yellow" variant of the konsole
      terminal, your default 'bg' option will (IIUC) be "light" in console Vim
      when launched in that terminal emulator.