Default setting for bg

  • Noel Henson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 9, 2005
      What sets the default setting for bg? This is the ":set bg" bg. I see that
      it is always set to 'light' on my varios systems in console and GUI with
      both black and white backgrounds.

      Thanks,

      Noel

      Noel Henson
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 2 , May 9, 2005
        Noel Henson wrote:
        > What sets the default setting for bg? This is the ":set bg" bg. I see that
        > it is always set to 'light' on my varios systems in console and GUI with
        > both black and white backgrounds.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Noel

        The 'bg' settings depends on the default colours (or on what Vim thinks
        they are).

        In gvim, the default colours (for groups which have no colours mentioned
        in their ":highlight" statements) are guibg=white guifg=black, and the
        default for the 'bg' option is "light".

        In console Vim, the default colours are whatever the shell was using
        when it called Vim, which is often lightgrey on black but can be
        anything. In CMD.EXE, I use bright cyan on blue, meaning the default is
        ctermbg=darkblue ctermfg=lightcyan, and my 'bg' setting is still "dark".
        If you are using the "black on pale yellow" variant of the konsole
        terminal, your default 'bg' option will (IIUC) be "light" in console Vim
        when launched in that terminal emulator.