Scrolling bug on Windows

  • Sergey Khorev
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 26, 2005
      I've noticed a buggy (I think) behaviour. This is how to reproduce it.
      Open file with lines > than 'lines'. Move window so that it's lower
      edge is under lower screen border. E.g.,
      +-----Screen-----------------+
      | |
      | |
      | +---GVim window------+ |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      | | | |
      +--+--------------------+----+
      | |
      +--------------------+

      And then try to scroll window with mouse wheel or scroller (or ^E). You'll
      get the fragments of lower visible line.
      I guess the problem is in taskbar placement: it is not top rather
      than on bottom of the screen. Once I move it to the bottom, all works fine.

      I've taken a quick look into code, and have found no obvious bugs.

      --
      Sergey Khorev
      http://iamphet.nm.ru
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 26, 2005
        Sergey Khorev wrote:
        > I've noticed a buggy (I think) behaviour. This is how to reproduce it.
        > Open file with lines > than 'lines'. Move window so that it's lower
        > edge is under lower screen border. E.g.,
        > +-----Screen-----------------+
        > | |
        > | |
        > | +---GVim window------+ |
        > | | | |
        > | | | |
        > | | | |
        > +--+--------------------+----+
        > | |
        > +--------------------+
        >
        > And then try to scroll window with mouse wheel or scroller (or ^E). You'll
        > get the fragments of lower visible line.
        > I guess the problem is in taskbar placement: it is not top rather
        > than on bottom of the screen. Once I move it to the bottom, all works fine.
        >
        > I've taken a quick look into code, and have found no obvious bugs.

        If it were obvious it probably wouldn't be there. However, "normal" use
        of gvim includes having the whole gvim window within the bounds of the
        display screen. AFAIK the only way to have it otherwise is by dragging
        the window titlebar or by using the "Move" item in the Windows Control
        menu for gvim (if you use ":winpos" and/or 'lines' and/or 'columns',
        gvim will notice that values are too big and use reduced values if
        needed to keep its window within the screen).

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
          Sergey Khorev wrote:

          > I've noticed a buggy (I think) behaviour. This is how to reproduce it.
          > Open file with lines > than 'lines'. Move window so that it's lower
          > edge is under lower screen border. E.g.,
          > +-----Screen-----------------+
          > | |
          > | |
          > | +---GVim window------+ |
          > | | | |
          > | | | |
          > | | | |
          > +--+--------------------+----+
          > | |
          > +--------------------+
          >
          > And then try to scroll window with mouse wheel or scroller (or ^E). You'll
          > get the fragments of lower visible line.
          > I guess the problem is in taskbar placement: it is not top rather
          > than on bottom of the screen. Once I move it to the bottom, all works fine.
          >
          > I've taken a quick look into code, and have found no obvious bugs.

          What version of Vim? Are you running any background tools?

          --
          Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

        • Sergey Khorev
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
            > What version of Vim? Are you running any background tools?

            6.3.071 and 7.0alpha on WinXP SP1 and SP2

            I have no idea what one may call the "background tools" ;) At least I
            don't use any interface tweaking/helping stuff.
            The only exotic thing on my desktop is taskbar on the top of the screen =)

            Just to illustrate this issue, I've made some screenshots
            (http://iamphet.nm.ru/vimshots.html)

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
              Sergey Khorev wrote:

              > > What version of Vim? Are you running any background tools?
              >
              > 6.3.071 and 7.0alpha on WinXP SP1 and SP2
              >
              > I have no idea what one may call the "background tools" ;) At least I
              > don't use any interface tweaking/helping stuff.
              > The only exotic thing on my desktop is taskbar on the top of the screen =3D=
              > )
              >
              > Just to illustrate this issue, I've made some screenshots
              > (http://iamphet.nm.ru/vimshots.html)

              I can reproduce it. Weird. One for the todo list...

              --
              TALL KNIGHT: We shall say Ni! again to you if you do not appease us.
              ARTHUR: All right! What do you want?