Re: W32 gvim with debug (Was: Weird bug in GTK2 version of gvim 7)

  • Ankur Kotwal
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
      Thanks! This worked a charm.

      --
      Kind Regards,
      Ankur Kotwal
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
        Ankur Kotwal wrote:

        > > Can you provide a backtrace of that segfault ? Please compile vim as
        > > usually with the options:
        > >
        > > export CFLAGS="-O0 -g -Wl,--as-needed"
        > >
        > > gdb vim7
        > > run
        >
        > This was quite interesting. Is there anyway to produce a debugable
        > gvim executable for Windows? One that I can step through in the Visual
        > Studio debugger? Does anyone have the build instructions?
        >
        > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".

        Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.

        --
        From "know your smileys":
        !-| I-am-a-Cylon-Centurian-with-one-red-eye-bouncing-back-and-forth

      • Ankur Kotwal
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
          Bram,

          > > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".
          >
          > Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.

          I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and unfortunately, I am unable to
          open the file as either a project or a solution. As soon as I try to
          open the file, VS asks me if I want to convert the project. I of
          course say yes but as soon as I do, I'm left facing a message box that
          says "Cannot load the project due to a corrupt project file."

          I assume that you are using an older version of Visual Studio. Are you
          able to send me your .dsp and .dsw file? I can then import and upgrade
          those files into VS .NET 2003. Thanks.

          --
          Kind Regards,
          Ankur Kotwal
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
            Ankur Kotwal wrote:

            > > > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".
            > >
            > > Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.
            >
            > I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and unfortunately, I am unable to
            > open the file as either a project or a solution. As soon as I try to
            > open the file, VS asks me if I want to convert the project. I of
            > course say yes but as soon as I do, I'm left facing a message box that
            > says "Cannot load the project due to a corrupt project file."

            You need to load it as a workspace, not as a project.
            Make sure the file has DOS fileformat. Unix fileformat doesn't work.

            > I assume that you are using an older version of Visual Studio. Are you
            > able to send me your .dsp and .dsw file? I can then import and upgrade
            > those files into VS .NET 2003. Thanks.

            These files are very system-specific. They are in some strange format,
            thus I don't even know what I would be sending out.

            It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
            compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.

            --
            From "know your smileys":
            |-P Reaction to unusually ugly C code

          • Ciaran McCreesh
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
              [ Forwarding this for agriffis@... because the list software
              hates him... ]

              Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Wed Apr 06 2005, 01:08:08PM EDT]
              > It's something with resizing the Vim window while starting up, the GTK
              > code for this is very complicated.

              On this topic, starting gvim in the ion window manager reveals window
              sizing issues with gtk2. I'm guessing race condition since it doesn't
              always happen, in particular if the system is bogged down then it
              works correctly.

              http://gentoo.org/~agriffis/misc/vim-ion-gtk2.png

              Aron
            • Norbert Tretkowski
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                * Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
                > Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Wed Apr 06 2005, 01:08:08PM EDT]
                > > It's something with resizing the Vim window while starting up, the
                > > GTK code for this is very complicated.
                >
                > On this topic, starting gvim in the ion window manager reveals
                > window sizing issues with gtk2. I'm guessing race condition since it
                > doesn't always happen, in particular if the system is bogged down
                > then it works correctly.

                I've also seen this with current gvim 6.3 and ion3, so that's not only
                gvim 7 related.

                Norbert
              • Ankur Kotwal
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Bram,

                  I was able to successfully import the makefile into visual studio. I
                  hadn't thought to convert the format from unix to dos. I had hoped
                  that Visual Studio would be smart enough to cope with it. Obviously
                  not.

                  > These files are very system-specific. They are in some strange format,
                  > thus I don't even know what I would be sending out.

                  Actually the format isn't really all that bad. It's actually fairly
                  easy to edit by hand once you know your way around it. The .dsp file
                  is all thats required.

                  > It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
                  > compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.

                  Well it seems that because I was able to import the makefile
                  successfully, MS is quite backwards compatible. Quite impressive given
                  that the file format was for MSVC 4 which is almost 10 years old (and
                  that the format has gone through many revisions over the various
                  versions).

                  Anyways, thanks for your help Bram. Now that I have a debuggable
                  environment, is there a repository of bugs that I can sink my teeth
                  into? I figure thats the best way to get involved in vim development
                  at least till I learn my way around the code.

                  --
                  Kind Regards,
                  Ankur Kotwal
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 8, 2005
                    Ankur Kotwal wrote:

                    > I was able to successfully import the makefile into visual studio. I
                    > hadn't thought to convert the format from unix to dos. I had hoped
                    > that Visual Studio would be smart enough to cope with it. Obviously
                    > not.

                    Visual Studio is only smart in some areas...

                    > > It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
                    > > compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.
                    >
                    > Well it seems that because I was able to import the makefile
                    > successfully, MS is quite backwards compatible. Quite impressive given
                    > that the file format was for MSVC 4 which is almost 10 years old (and
                    > that the format has gone through many revisions over the various
                    > versions).

                    Yeah, but the only way to make such a file is by hand-editing it. You
                    can only generate it with MSVC 4, which almost nobody has (you can't buy
                    it, you need to get an illegal copy).

                    > Anyways, thanks for your help Bram. Now that I have a debuggable
                    > environment, is there a repository of bugs that I can sink my teeth
                    > into? I figure thats the best way to get involved in vim development
                    > at least till I learn my way around the code.

                    ":help todo". You might want to get a Vim 7 snapshot, because some
                    things were fixed in Vim 7 but too risky to include in Vim 6.3.

                    --
                    From "know your smileys":
                    <>:-) Bishop