Re: Weird bug in GTK2 version of gvim 7

  • Michael Schaap
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
      On 6-Apr-2005 17:56, A. J. Mechelynck wrote:

      > F1 is by default an alias for ":help<CR>".

      Indeed. The problem actually occurs when using ":split", and F1 is just
      a quick way to perform one. :-)

      > This is indeed a weird bug, especially since reasserting the
      > already-set value of 'laststatus' clears it.

      It probably forces the code to recalculate the window dimensions,
      thereby losing whatever value it is that is corrupted.

      > Of course, on my W32 system, I can't reproduce it: F1 works as
      > intended, splitting the window and displaying the first page of help
      > in approximately the top two thirds. Both status lines are there, the
      > top one saying "help.txt [help][RO]" and the bottom one "[No Name]".
      > No scrolling of course in the empty bottom window.

      Indeed, it appears to be specific to the GTK version. The KDE version
      also doesn't have this bug.

      > I notice that -u means that 'compatible' is on, but I don't see how
      > this could be relevant.

      Not relevant at all. Just a minimal test case, the problem occurs with
      my huge, nocompatible-setting .[g]vimrc files. :-)

      - Michael
    • Ankur Kotwal
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
        > Can you provide a backtrace of that segfault ? Please compile vim as
        > usually with the options:
        >
        > export CFLAGS="-O0 -g -Wl,--as-needed"
        >
        > gdb vim7
        > run

        This was quite interesting. Is there anyway to produce a debugable
        gvim executable for Windows? One that I can step through in the Visual
        Studio debugger? Does anyone have the build instructions?

        I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".

        PS: Sorry about the topic jacking.

        --
        Kind Regards,
        Ankur Kotwal
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
          Ankur Kotwal wrote:
          >>Can you provide a backtrace of that segfault ? Please compile vim as
          >>usually with the options:
          >>
          >>export CFLAGS="-O0 -g -Wl,--as-needed"
          >>
          >>gdb vim7
          >>run
          >

          > This was quite interesting. Is there anyway to produce a debugable
          > gvim executable for Windows? One that I can step through in the Visual
          > Studio debugger? Does anyone have the build instructions?
          >
          > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".
          >
          > PS: Sorry about the topic jacking.

          Check your makefile (Make_mvc.mak, right?). There may be a parameter
          like DEBUG=yes to add to your make command-line. If it's like with
          Make_bc5.mak and Make_cyg.mak (also for Windows, but using free
          compilers) it might produce an executable named gvimd.exe.

          If you want a ready-made (g)vimd.exe for Windows, point your browser to
          my Vim page http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/

        • Ankur Kotwal
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
            Thanks! This worked a charm.

            --
            Kind Regards,
            Ankur Kotwal
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
              Ankur Kotwal wrote:

              > > Can you provide a backtrace of that segfault ? Please compile vim as
              > > usually with the options:
              > >
              > > export CFLAGS="-O0 -g -Wl,--as-needed"
              > >
              > > gdb vim7
              > > run
              >
              > This was quite interesting. Is there anyway to produce a debugable
              > gvim executable for Windows? One that I can step through in the Visual
              > Studio debugger? Does anyone have the build instructions?
              >
              > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".

              Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.

              --
              From "know your smileys":
              !-| I-am-a-Cylon-Centurian-with-one-red-eye-bouncing-back-and-forth

            • Ankur Kotwal
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                Bram,

                > > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".
                >
                > Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.

                I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and unfortunately, I am unable to
                open the file as either a project or a solution. As soon as I try to
                open the file, VS asks me if I want to convert the project. I of
                course say yes but as soon as I do, I'm left facing a message box that
                says "Cannot load the project due to a corrupt project file."

                I assume that you are using an older version of Visual Studio. Are you
                able to send me your .dsp and .dsw file? I can then import and upgrade
                those files into VS .NET 2003. Thanks.

                --
                Kind Regards,
                Ankur Kotwal
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Ankur Kotwal wrote:

                  > > > I usually perform a build using "nmake -f Make_mvc.mak GUI=yes OLE=yes".
                  > >
                  > > Import Make_ivc.mak as a workspace into Visual Studio.
                  >
                  > I'm using Visual Studio .NET 2003 and unfortunately, I am unable to
                  > open the file as either a project or a solution. As soon as I try to
                  > open the file, VS asks me if I want to convert the project. I of
                  > course say yes but as soon as I do, I'm left facing a message box that
                  > says "Cannot load the project due to a corrupt project file."

                  You need to load it as a workspace, not as a project.
                  Make sure the file has DOS fileformat. Unix fileformat doesn't work.

                  > I assume that you are using an older version of Visual Studio. Are you
                  > able to send me your .dsp and .dsw file? I can then import and upgrade
                  > those files into VS .NET 2003. Thanks.

                  These files are very system-specific. They are in some strange format,
                  thus I don't even know what I would be sending out.

                  It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
                  compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.

                  --
                  From "know your smileys":
                  |-P Reaction to unusually ugly C code

                • Ciaran McCreesh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                    [ Forwarding this for agriffis@... because the list software
                    hates him... ]

                    Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Wed Apr 06 2005, 01:08:08PM EDT]
                    > It's something with resizing the Vim window while starting up, the GTK
                    > code for this is very complicated.

                    On this topic, starting gvim in the ion window manager reveals window
                    sizing issues with gtk2. I'm guessing race condition since it doesn't
                    always happen, in particular if the system is bogged down then it
                    works correctly.

                    http://gentoo.org/~agriffis/misc/vim-ion-gtk2.png

                    Aron
                  • Norbert Tretkowski
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                      * Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
                      > Bram Moolenaar wrote: [Wed Apr 06 2005, 01:08:08PM EDT]
                      > > It's something with resizing the Vim window while starting up, the
                      > > GTK code for this is very complicated.
                      >
                      > On this topic, starting gvim in the ion window manager reveals
                      > window sizing issues with gtk2. I'm guessing race condition since it
                      > doesn't always happen, in particular if the system is bogged down
                      > then it works correctly.

                      I've also seen this with current gvim 6.3 and ion3, so that's not only
                      gvim 7 related.

                      Norbert
                    • Ankur Kotwal
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                        Bram,

                        I was able to successfully import the makefile into visual studio. I
                        hadn't thought to convert the format from unix to dos. I had hoped
                        that Visual Studio would be smart enough to cope with it. Obviously
                        not.

                        > These files are very system-specific. They are in some strange format,
                        > thus I don't even know what I would be sending out.

                        Actually the format isn't really all that bad. It's actually fairly
                        easy to edit by hand once you know your way around it. The .dsp file
                        is all thats required.

                        > It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
                        > compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.

                        Well it seems that because I was able to import the makefile
                        successfully, MS is quite backwards compatible. Quite impressive given
                        that the file format was for MSVC 4 which is almost 10 years old (and
                        that the format has gone through many revisions over the various
                        versions).

                        Anyways, thanks for your help Bram. Now that I have a debuggable
                        environment, is there a repository of bugs that I can sink my teeth
                        into? I figure thats the best way to get involved in vim development
                        at least till I learn my way around the code.

                        --
                        Kind Regards,
                        Ankur Kotwal
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 8, 2005
                          Ankur Kotwal wrote:

                          > I was able to successfully import the makefile into visual studio. I
                          > hadn't thought to convert the format from unix to dos. I had hoped
                          > that Visual Studio would be smart enough to cope with it. Obviously
                          > not.

                          Visual Studio is only smart in some areas...

                          > > It's very disappointing the MS doesn't have a documented and backwards
                          > > compatible project description file. Clearly a vendor lock-in.
                          >
                          > Well it seems that because I was able to import the makefile
                          > successfully, MS is quite backwards compatible. Quite impressive given
                          > that the file format was for MSVC 4 which is almost 10 years old (and
                          > that the format has gone through many revisions over the various
                          > versions).

                          Yeah, but the only way to make such a file is by hand-editing it. You
                          can only generate it with MSVC 4, which almost nobody has (you can't buy
                          it, you need to get an illegal copy).

                          > Anyways, thanks for your help Bram. Now that I have a debuggable
                          > environment, is there a repository of bugs that I can sink my teeth
                          > into? I figure thats the best way to get involved in vim development
                          > at least till I learn my way around the code.

                          ":help todo". You might want to get a Vim 7 snapshot, because some
                          things were fixed in Vim 7 but too risky to include in Vim 6.3.

                          --
                          From "know your smileys":
                          <>:-) Bishop