RE: Missprint in help

  • Keith Roberts
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005

      I wouldn't count on spell check to catch "its" => "it's" errors, since
      "its" is also a legitimate English word (the possessive pronoun). :)

      Example:
      It's lost its ability to turn.

      [It has] ... [where "its" means the ability belonging to it]

      -Keith
    • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
        Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
        has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

        RE: Missprint in help

        should be:

        RE: Misprint in help

        >> While rereading help I've found mispring:

        should be:

        >> While rereading help I've found misprint:

        Kevin

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
          >Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

          Phil's Law - when pointing out a typo or grammatical, one makes a typo or grammatical error. Especially when more egregious than the original one pointed out.

          --Eljay
        • Wind
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
            Hello Kevin,

            Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
            in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
            (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).

            PS:
            Don't spellcheck this letter, or it will be infinite
            process. ;)

            CKMC> Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
            CKMC> has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

            CKMC> RE: Missprint in help

            CKMC> should be:

            CKMC> RE: Misprint in help

            >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:

            CKMC> should be:

            >>> While rereading help I've found misprint:

            CKMC> Kevin

            CKMC> -----Original Message-----
            CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
            CKMC> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:18 PM
            CKMC> To: Fan Decheng
            CKMC> Cc: Wind; vim-dev@...
            CKMC> Subject: Re: Missprint in help

            CKMC> Fan Decheng wrote:
            >> Wind wrote:
            >>
            >>> Hello vim-dev,
            >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:
            CKMC> [...]

            CKMC> While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

            CKMC> *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
            CKMC> line 274
            CKMC> there is:

            CKMC> o or O octal 3 255

            CKMC> there should be:

            CKMC> o or O octal 3 377 (255)

            CKMC> for consistency with the following lines.

            CKMC> Best regards,
            CKMC> Tony.

            Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
          • A. J. Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
              Wind wrote:
              > Hello Kevin,
              >
              > Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
              > in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
              > (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
              [...]

              If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
              should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but
              also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
              needn't have said.

              Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of
              them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

            • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                Wind,

                I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                  And of course, I make a typo! :)

                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                    Hello Kevin,
                    You're welcome. I'm not very touchy, so there is no offence.
                    And yet I found it very ironic too. Thank you for joy.

                    CKMC> And of course, I make a typo! :)

                    CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                    CKMC> From: Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                    CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:32 AM
                    CKMC> To: Wind
                    CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...
                    CKMC> Subject: RE: Missprint in help

                    CKMC> Wind,

                    CKMC> I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                    CKMC> that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                    CKMC> Kevin

                    CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                    CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                    CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:46 AM
                    CKMC> To: Wind
                    CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...; Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]

                    CKMC> Wind wrote:
                    >> Hello Kevin,
                    >>
                    >> Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                    >> in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                    >> (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                    CKMC> [...]

                    CKMC> If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                    CKMC> should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but

                    CKMC> also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                    CKMC> needn't have said.

                    CKMC> Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of

                    CKMC> them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                    CKMC> Best regards,
                    CKMC> Tony.

                    Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...